• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent adoption process & forms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CALovitt

What is the name of your state? SC

Does anyone know the process of filing for a step-parent adoption in SC? Or where I can get the forms to file?

I've searched online extensively but keep running onto brick walls. I have contacted the Family Divison Court but I was told they "don't even know where to refer" me for the forms and only advice is to "get a lawyer". We're not financially capable, at the moment, to retain an attorney and our situation is pretty much "cut and dry" so we're hoping to do this ourselves.

My daughter is going to be 5 this Dec and my husband has been the primary father figure to her. Her biological father passed away last year in April. We just recently married this past July but have been living together for three years. It's truly important to us as a family to go through the adoption. He's always considered her as his own and wants to make it legal.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

milspecgirl

most states require a minimum of 1 year of marriage to even apply. There are no do it yourself forms. You will need to be pretty well versed in how to write a petition yourself. Try calling a paralegal or something and see if they will do it at a reduced rate. For one uncontested and easy- the atty fees probably wouldn't be that much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">