• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Parent Adoption question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enjmabe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I Live in NC, Me and my husband who have been together for eight years and married for 5 have filed for a step parent adoption. My son's Bio dad has agreed to the adoption and is paying for it as well, he has not seen his son in over 5 years and has not paid child support in over a year. My son does not know that my Husband is not his bio dad, we however tend to tell him when he is older, as we both agree he deserves to know the truth. My question is, how long will the process take, we all signed the notorized adoption papers, the attorney said since my husband and I have been married for over 5 years that no home study is necessary and that the process should go through without a hitch, he just has to take the papers to the court house and make sure no mistakes were made in the paper work and then it is sent to Raleigh. How long can I expect this to take, we are hoping it will be completed by Christmas. Thanks to anyone who can offer any answers, I am new to this forum!:)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've done this entirely with an attorney. He never mentioned a time frame? :confused:
Ask your attorney - you will get a MUCH more accurate answer that way.

enjmabe

Yes we went through an attorney, we first started the process about three weeks ago and said it should be finished by Christmas, but I thought since the paper work was just completed today I thought that was a bit quick, although I spoke with his assistant today and she gave me no time frame, just said it would be at the court house in the morning and then sent to Raleigh. I am praying that it will not take to long! I am ready to get this all finalized.:)

LdiJ

Yes we went through an attorney, we first started the process about three weeks ago and said it should be finished by Christmas, but I thought since the paper work was just completed today I thought that was a bit quick, although I spoke with his assistant today and she gave me no time frame, just said it would be at the court house in the morning and then sent to Raleigh. I am praying that it will not take to long! I am ready to get this all finalized.:)
I think that you are overly optimistic. That is an incredibly short time frame even when everyone is in agreement.

enjmabe

Thanks Ldij, I thought that was pretty quick too, I think since it is the bio dads attorney and he is paying for it, the attorney seems very inexperienced in the whole process, he did say for certain that there would be no home study. I am just glad that the bio dad is willing to let my husband adopt.I can be patient, just do not know how long sometthing like this generally takes, I would guess at least 2 months.:)

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I Live in NC, Me and my husband who have been together for eight years and married for 5 have filed for a step parent adoption. My son's Bio dad has agreed to the adoption and is paying for it as well, he has not seen his son in over 5 years and has not paid child support in over a year. My son does not know that my Husband is not his bio dad, we however tend to tell him when he is older, as we both agree he deserves to know the truth. My question is, how long will the process take, we all signed the notorized adoption papers, the attorney said since my husband and I have been married for over 5 years that no home study is necessary and that the process should go through without a hitch, he just has to take the papers to the court house and make sure no mistakes were made in the paper work and then it is sent to Raleigh. How long can I expect this to take, we are hoping it will be completed by Christmas. Thanks to anyone who can offer any answers, I am new to this forum!:)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
when did you start the process? and what did your attorney tell you when you asked him/her?

edited: well. i guess my browser got really slow....whateveryone else said. highly unlikely by christmas.

enjmabe

The process started a few weeks ago, the offical papers were signd by all three of us today and they are supposed to be taken to court in the morning to see if there are any mistakes that need to be made to the paper work if not the paralegal said they would then be sent to Raleigh for final review, 3 weeks ago, the attorney said it would be finalized hopefully by Christmas, but he seems to have been taking his time, so we will see.:)

Last edited:

Isis1

The process started a few weeks ago, the offical papers were signd by all three of us today and they are supposed to be taken to court in the morning to see if there are any mistakes that need to be made to the paper work if not the paralegal said they would then be sent to Raleigh for final review, 3 weeks ago, the attorney said it would be finalized hopefully by Christmas, but he seems to have been taking his time, so we will see.:)

please also don't forget the courts break for holidays as do attorneys. most attorneys i knew, took 3-4 weeks off and papers are "pushed" around the office for awhile. plan on 1-2 months and if your attorney really is a miracle worker and DOES get it in by Christmas..then by all means send him and his secretary a little something nice for the holidays.:D

and by the way congratulations to you and the NEW dad. IT'S A BOY!! :D:D

enjmabe

I just got off the phone with our attorney. He went representing the bio dad in our child support order. He always satyed behind and was only ordered to pay $212 per month, he has not paid any money since May of this year, I left a message with the CS case worker explaining our situation, and told her that we both had came to agreement on him just paying half of the arrearages. Apparently she was trying to get it all up front today, so the attorney contacted me by phone and tol me that the papers had been turned in and that I should expect a call by the end of January, and asked me if it was ok if the dad made purge payment on the half he owed I said yes and then the bio dad called me and said that they are giving him until the first of Febryary to pay what he owes. I am so happy that all ofthis has worked out this way, I knew that having this process completed by Christmas was unrealistic, but January does not sound so bad! Thanks to all that have posted!

Silverplum

From another thread:

Hi I live in NC and my husband and I have been married for 5 years , I have full custody of my son and there has never been any issues with school , Dr appointments or anything else, but every situation is different, My son does not know that my husband is not his bio dad and the school and doctors both know this. We are in the process of a step parent adoption, as the bio dad has consented. Good luck! I am glad to see that there are step parents out there that are willing to do things for their step kids and treat them as their own. Thumbs up!:)
https://forum.freeadvice.com/marriage-domestic-partnerships-other-family-law-matters-45/i-need-some-help-442749.html#post2114595

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">