• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption reversal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brestar

What is the name of your state? california
I have a step mother who is really causing a lot of problems for my dad and he wants to divorce her but my sisters and I (I am 19 and out of the house already) were legally adopted by her. My dad wants to reverse the adoptions (siblings are 14 and 9) how would he go about reversing it?

tigger22472

brestar said:
I have a step mother who is really causing a lot of problems for my dad and he wants to divorce her but my sisters and I (I am 19 and out of the house already) were legally adopted by her. My dad wants to reverse the adoptions (siblings are 14 and 9) how would he go about reversing it?

He can't. What's done is done. She is now the legal mother.

Spoiled77

If she agreed couldnt she give up her rights and sign them away?????? Just like Im sure their mom had to do in order for them to be adopted by her????? Why couldnt that happen????? Im just asking I dont see how hard that is.

tigger22472

Spoiled77 said:
If she agreed couldnt she give up her rights and sign them away?????? Just like Im sure their mom had to do in order for them to be adopted by her????? Why couldnt that happen????? Im just asking I dont see how hard that is.

Because first off, she would have to agree which isn't likely.. and secondly most states REQUIRE there be an adoption in place. By removing her as the legal parent they are leaving them with ONE legal parent and states do not do that. And it's not simply a matter of someone wanting to give up rights and the other agreeing. If that was the case there wouldn't be any deadbeat parents.

Spoiled77

What if she did want to give the kids up??? Then would it be a problem even if NO ONE contested it???? ANd everyone was willing to go ahead with it??? if dad can support them fully with no problems and no one contested it, could it be done then?

tigger22472

Spoiled77 said:
What if she did want to give the kids up??? Then would it be a problem even if NO ONE contested it???? ANd everyone was willing to go ahead with it??? if dad can support them fully with no problems and no one contested it, could it be done then?

You're not getting it. The courts don't allow that but in a few states and Michigan isn't one of them as far as I'm aware of. It doesn't matter what the parents want, it's what he courts will allow.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
brestar said:
A new party game! Musical Mommies!

T

titansfan

no he cant

he cant. your stepmom is your legal parent, the bio parent and her family are legal strangers with no rights. im sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">