• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Parent Adoption Reversal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

No, but I think Zigner is right - the court might let the original dad adopt the child if all the adults agree.
I also agree that is true, and I have actually seen a small handful of cases where something like that was done.

However, he would have no standing to even initiate a case like that unless all the parties were fully in agreement, in advance. He would have no standing to initiate a case otherwise, because he is completely a legal stranger to the child at this point.

Mom clearly would never agree to that, so its actually a moot point.

The only time that I have ever seen a previous parent, be able to adopt a child, without the advance agreement of the adoptive parents, was a CPS related case and that only worked because the parent still had a legally recognized relationship to the child.

Teenage mom allowed her parents to adopt the child (teen dad agreed as well). 12 years later the grandparents lost the child to foster care for neglect. Child was placed with adult "sister". Adoptive parents did not complete case plan and CPS pushed for adoption, so "sister" adopted back her own biological child.

However, again, this bio dad has no legally recognized relationship to the child, so this kind of situation wouldn't apply to him.

rainbow3016

Just curious, what is a "legally recognized relationship"? She does have a relationship with her biological father's Mom (her grandma) if that matters.

LdiJ

Just curious, what is a "legally recognized relationship"? She does have a relationship with her biological father's Mom (her grandma) if that matters.
She was still the child's relative, after the adoption. She was no longer the child's mother, but she became the child's sister, legally, by virtue of the adoption.

Your child may have a relationship with her biological grandma, but her biological grandma is no longer legally her grandma.

Another example would be if someone allowed their sibling to adopt their child. They would no longer be the child's parent, but they would be the child's aunt or uncle.

T N

I am not sure if this is any help but, I was adopted by my stepdad when I was a teen. Eventually he was in trouble and I remember the judge asking if I wanted the adoption reversed, I said yes. That was the end of it. I have an Ex-Adopted Step Father:) I never looked back!

Proserpina

I am not sure if this is any help but, I was adopted by my stepdad when I was a teen. Eventually he was in trouble and I remember the judge asking if I wanted the adoption reversed, I said yes. That was the end of it. I have an Ex-Adopted Step Father:) I never looked back!

No, it doesn't help.

At all. Because I can guarantee that it wasn't that simple.

If you have a legal question, please start your own thread...otherwise, please don't post to months old threads.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">