• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption reversal????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moonchild71218

My ex wife adopted our son to her husband, with my consent, 4 years ago. They are now getting divorced and she decided to pop up out of no where and stated threatening to reverse the adoption and make me pay child sopport. She wanted nothing to do with my son knowing me to where she changed his full name (yes even first) hen he was 6 after the adoption. He was named, at birth, after me. I dont know the child and dont want the reversal but she says she can do it without my consent cause I'm his bio dad. Can she do it??

Proserpina

My ex wife adopted our son to her husband, with my consent, 4 years ago. They are now getting divorced and she decided to pop up out of no where and stated threatening to reverse the adoption and make me pay child sopport. She wanted nothing to do with my son knowing me to where she changed his full name (yes even first) hen he was 6 after the adoption. He was named, at birth, after me. I dont know the child and dont want the reversal but she says she can do it without my consent cause I'm his bio dad. Can she do it??

Oh heck no.

She's full of baloney.

The courts do NOT like it when parents try to play games like this. The child has a LEGAL father, and Legal Dad cannot simply decide he doesn't want to be Dad anymore - and neither can Mom.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not in the US. Are you in the US?

Antigone*

I so wish this could be stickied or referred to for other people to see.

OP, this is nothing against you at all. People come here all the time asking if their SO could adopt their child, and they don't realize that once it is done, there are no do overs.

My advice, don't listen to your ex AT ALL.

Take care,

tigi

Proserpina

I so wish this could be stickied or referred to for other people to see.

OP, this is nothing against you at all. People come here all the time asking if their SO could adopt their child, and they don't realize that once it is done, there are no do overs.

My advice, don't listen to your ex AT ALL.

Take care,

tigi

I agree.

Most folk here know that I'm not one to do this - at all - but if it were Mom posting, I'd be VERY tempted to...

<spit>

Because what she is threatening to do is frankly disgusting.

Antigone*

I agree.

Most folk here know that I'm not one to do this - at all - but if it were Mom posting, I'd be VERY tempted to...

<spit>

Because what she is threatening to do is frankly disgusting.
I don't blame you.

I wish we had a <spit> emoticon for occasions such as these.

moonchild71218

Yah I'm here in the US. Florida. She was or is in the Navy and was always able to get what she wanted in court by using that and coming into court in her uniform crying that its hard to be a single mother and to serve in the navy. Now she is theatening me with this. I thought she was gone for good but it never fails she seems to show up out of no where and make my life hell.:mad:

Proserpina

Yah I'm here in the US. Florida. She was or is in the Navy and was always able to get what she wanted in court by using that and coming into court in her uniform crying that its hard to be a single mother and to serve in the navy. Now she is theatening me with this. I thought she was gone for good but it never fails she seems to show up out of no where and make my life hell.:mad:

She's full of it.

Ignore her. Don't even engage her.

IF she somehow manages to file something and you're served - come back and we'll try to help you further :)

This is so unfair on the child. And it's also unfair to mess YOU around like this, too.

AND it's unfair to Dad! I wonder what he thinks about all this? Unless he's in on it...

cyjeff

Yeah. She's full of crap.

A child isn't a used car.

Legally, you no longer have a child. Assuming that it was an actual adoption, of course.

What did you sign that came from an attorney and was filed in court?

Proserpina

Legally, you no longer have a child. Assuming that it was an actual adoption, of course.

Oooooooooooh boy...I see where you're going here... :eek:

I really hope that this isn't what we're thinking it might be...

moonchild71218

The sad thing is, is what she has put my son through. Changing the childs name (full name) at the age of 6. From what she is saying is he is really sick and always being rushed into the hospital for headaches. Now she knows my mom has really bad headaches and I'm woundering if she is just saying that to make me feel bad and agree to adopt him back.

BTW this isnt the mom. This is a real situation. As sad as it seems and no matter how much it seems made up, its not. :eek: Its mean that someone would do this and put a child in the middle of their own mental issues. I'm just terrified that she will be able to get away with this crazy behavior.

cyjeff

Oooooooooooh boy...I see where you're going here... :eek:

I really hope that this isn't what we're thinking it might be...
You mean, would a woman that wants to undue a baby's relationship with the only father he/she has ever know... would that person LIE about an adoption?

Oh, yeah.

Any gamblers out there? What are the odds that the OP never saw the inside of a courtroom about the adoption and mom just TOLD him what happened in front of the judge when she was in uniform?

Anyone?

moonchild71218

Yeah. The papers were sent to me in the mail from a lawyer 4 years ago and the child support was stopped. I never got any final papers though.

Proserpina

The sad thing is, is what she has put my son through. Changing the childs name (full name) at the age of 6. From what she is saying is he is really sick and always being rushed into the hospital for headaches. Now she knows my mom has really bad headaches and I'm woundering if she is just saying that to make me feel bad and agree to adopt him back.

BTW this isnt the mom. This is a real situation. As sad as it seems and no matter how much it seems made up, its not. :eek: Its mean that someone would do this and put a child in the middle of their own mental issues. I'm just terrified that she will be able to get away with this crazy behavior.

ASSuming it was a real, actual adoption in the first place...

The only way YOU would be adopting the child is if her rights were terminated and you adopted as a single parent.

(Or, if you've remarried, your spouse adopts with you).

Then MOM would have no rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">