• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent adoption reversal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Saiga762

I recently went through a divorce from a marriage where I adopted my step-daughter. My question is (without sounding like a "cold" parent): Will Michigan law permit me to legally "un-adopt" this child?
The mother made the comments to many people that "the only reason that I let him adopt her was because her I can get more child support from him" (as compared to her biological father).
I was told that if me and the mother reached an agreement, we could have the parenting time and child support held in abayance (sp?). As I do want to keep this to the point, I wont get into the details, but will answer questions if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Saiga

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Saiga762 said:
Will Michigan law permit me to legally "un-adopt" this child?
My response:

No, not unless there's someone else willing to adopt the child. When you adopted the child, the child became every bit your child - - from emotional to legal. The child, in fact, takes from your Estate, just as if the child were biologically yours.

You stepped into the shoes of the biological father, and now, you're going to need someone else to step into your shoes if you don't "want" the child - - otherwise, you're just a much on the hook to this child as if it was your biological child.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">