• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption/ terminating parental rights when parent is unable to be found

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pequenalia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My husband wants to adopt my girls. I understand the process about step-parent adoptions, however my dilemma is how to contact the bio-father.
He has not seen my second daughter as he left when I was pregnant, made no efforts to contact either of the girls in almost 10 years. I went through Child support to try and find him, but 2 years ago received a letter stating they were closing the case since they had exhausted their search with no results. If the State can not find him how do I go about terminating his rights so my husband can adopt?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My husband wants to adopt my girls. I understand the process about step-parent adoptions, however my dilemma is how to contact the bio-father.
He has not seen my second daughter as he left when I was pregnant, made no efforts to contact either of the girls in almost 10 years. I went through Child support to try and find him, but 2 years ago received a letter stating they were closing the case since they had exhausted their search with no results. If the State can not find him how do I go about terminating his rights so my husband can adopt?

Mom, you'll need to get an attorney on board. At the very least Dad will need to be notified, and if you have to serve him via publication you'll need to go through several steps in Oregon.

It's best to have an attorney help you with this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">