• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent adoption where the father is unknown in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bowensmom

I conceived a child with a man at a concert that I had attended, and do not know his name or how to contact him. I did not report the conception as a rape but I was defiantly incapacitated and feel as though I was taken advantage of.

I was in a relationship with another man at the time. When the child was born a paternity test was done on the man that I had been dating. It was proven that he was not the father. The birth certificate has the fatter listed as unknown.

I have been dating a man since my son was 8 weeks old, June of 2004. We have been living together and he has been the sole supporter since October of 2004 (my son was 5 months at the time). He asked me to marry him and he wants to adopt my son.

We don't really have the money to get an attorney. But if I have to I want to go in with as much info as possible as to keep the costs down.

crystaly

There is a book called "How to adopt your stepchild in California" Go to any bookstore and buy this book. It will tell you how to go about doing this and you won't need an attorney to do it.

ImTheMom

I should probably open a new thread, but I am in a similar situation, except I live in Texas. What is the process in Texas?

Litigation!

ImTheMom said:
I should probably open a new thread, but I am in a similar situation, except I live in Texas. What is the process in Texas?
My response:

There is a book called "How to adopt your Dufus stepchild in Texas." Go to any bookstore and buy this book. It will tell you how to go about doing this and you won't need an attorney to do it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">