• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-Parent Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikisti

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have been the step father of my daughter since she was 6 months old. She is now 4 and her mother and I have been married for 2 years. The biological father has been court ordered to pay child support, which he has neglected for 4 months now, and is behind around $3800. He has not seen her for over 2 years. We are wondering if the biological father would be able to come in and request custody of her if something happened to her mother. The last thing I would want is for her to be taken from me as well. What rights would I have in order to be able to keep her?

Just Blue

I have been the step father of my daughter since she was 6 months old. She is now 4 and her mother and I have been married for 2 years. The biological father has been court ordered to pay child support, which he has neglected for 4 months now, and is behind around $3800. He has not seen her for over 2 years. We are wondering if the biological father would be able to come in and request custody of her if something happened to her mother. The last thing I would want is for her to be taken from me as well. What rights would I have in order to be able to keep her?
You have no rights. You are a legal stranger to your wifes child.

Silverplum

This is an extremely common question, asked/answered 100 times per week. Thank you for using the search function and reading this forum to answer your q.

*Or, Bay could decide to answer it for the zillionth time! ;)

mikisti

Re:

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Would their be any options available to gain custody of her?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I'm confused.... who is this "biological father" of whom you speak? Sure you don't mean the child's FATHER.

CourtClerk

For Your Information, I am using correct terms.A biological parent is a biological parent.A step parent is a step parent.Catch my drift?
No, we don't. Here.... the parent is the parent. Period. The OP is mom's new husband, nothing more and nothing less and someone who comes on here trying to regulate with less than a hand full of posts may want to tread carefully.

Isis1

as it is seniors here who are the one that give the advice, this type of wording is not acceptable all across the board. a mother is a mother unless otherwise stated in a court order such as an adoption. same as a father is a father. this prevents from allowing overstepping stepparents or legal strangers from inserting themselves legally where they don't belong. you aren't the only one they tell this to. same as a judge would not be only telling YOU, but every third party that had nothing to do with the child/ren in his/her courtroom.

if you notice in the custody and visitation forum there is a sticky. you might be so wise as to notice the author. there's a reason why the administrators actually made it a sticky. they back it up.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
For Your Information, I am using correct terms.A biological parent is a biological parent.A step parent is a step parent.Catch my drift?
No you are not. A biological parent is LEGALLY the parent until rights are terminated. To use biological is insulting and not tolerated. A step parent is actually NOT legally a parent at all. Now sit back and shut up. Catch my drift?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How many children have you adopted, birthed or are step parent to?
Look you impertinent twit, how many courts have you dealt with? Where did you get your law degree.

I am an adoptive mother of 2 teens,
Wrong -- if you adopted them then you are the mother. And the one who gave birth to them is the biological mother.

birth mother of 2 kids
So you gave those two up for adoption?

and step parent of 1 teen.
Other wise known as legal stranger of 1 teenager because this child has two parents -- mother and father.

I KNOW the CORRECT terminology and quit frankly I said NOTHING wrong.
On this site you did. Try learning proper netiquette -- you know, the rules of the forum before you start posting.

I never claimed that the mother's new hubby was anything to the individual.I simply asked a question involving the original birth father which is he even if this was not an adoption case.
No. He is the father. Not the original birth father (wait, this is a Jerry Springer episode and there is now an original and subsequent birth father?) but father.

Maybe some people should be a lot less rude.
And maybe some should learn what they are talking about before they start typing. Got it?

Just Blue

A parent is a parent. A biological parent is a parent that had their rights terminated (other wise they would still be the parent) so they are...legally nothing....and a step?? Also legally nothing.

Catch my drift?? :rolleyes:

Edit to add: Well! Color me surprised!! Look at the profile.

Biography:
I am a happily married women with 5 terrific kids (Tina 17, Jasmine 16, keirin 11,Amber 8 and Courtney 13 and a angel in heaven who would be 19)
Interests:
chairty
Mother/Counsler/canine trainer

Last edited:

CourtClerk

How many children have you adopted, birthed or are step parent to?
You really don't want to know the answer to that question. It would make you look even more stupid than you already do.

Although I will tell you this. They are all functional human beings who do more than train dogs with their lives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">