• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepchild adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

ksmitty

What is the name of your state? ny

my stepson is 9 years old. my husband and I have been together for 4 years, married 2 1/2. my husband has custody of anthony, and our son's biological mother is not a part of his life. i would love to legally adopt him for more reasons than one. but my main concern is that in the event of something happening to my husband, that i don't have legal rights claiming anthony. what can i do to ensure that he will be with me?

tigger22472

Seek a family law attorney. You will need to send some sort of notification to BM and allow her time to contest (usually 30 days). Even if she does contest doesn't mean that the adoption won't go through so don't let that fret you. You will most probably have to have a home study done by the welfare department. I am going through this now for a total of $850, a small price to pay for the future of my children.

K

ksmitty

thanks

Fantastic! Thank you sooo much!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">