• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepchild Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JADoughman

My husband would like to adopt my eight year old son. I was not married to his father and never had the desire to pursue any child support.

My husband has been the 'father' to my son in every respect for the last five years.

What would this sort of adoption in Indiana entail, and can we do this without the permission of the biological fater?

MySonsMom

Permission from the bio Father is needed for an adoption. Depending upon if the bio Dad has been involved, will determine the best way to approach this. If the bio Dad agrees to the adoption, his signature is required to relinguish his rights so that your hubby can adopt. If he does not agree to the adoption there are a few ways to go about this..

If he HAS been involved in the childs life and he wishes for this to not be done, you have little options. If he has NOT paid child support, you are entitled to all these years of support that he has not paid. If this is the case, then you can "threaten" him that he will be in arrears and owe 8 yrs worth of support, OR you will waive the arrears IF he agrees to the adoption.

If he has NOT been involved in the childs life, same thing as above but if he DOES NOT agree to the adoption, you have a great chance of proving to the courts that the adoption is the best for the child because of his non involvement.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">