+ Reply to Thread
    Lighunt is offline Junior Member

Stepchild Adoption in PA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
    My wife and I have been married now for almost 5 years. She has a son who is ten years old and lives with us. His father has never seen him and rarely pays child support. He recently contacted us to tell us that he wants to sign over his parental rights. In order to do this, Domestic Relations told us that I would need to adopt my stepson in order for the courts to approve the termination of rights from his father. This is perfect considering I have been wanting to adopt him for quite some time now, but we could not locate his father since he has been moving frequently from state to state to avoid payign child support. Can anyone tell me the process to do this and approximately how much it will cost? We were hoping to avoid using an attorney if that is even possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighunt View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
    My wife and I have been married now for almost 5 years. She has a son who is ten years old and lives with us. His father has never seen him and rarely pays child support. He recently contacted us to tell us that he wants to sign over his parental rights. In order to do this, Domestic Relations told us that I would need to adopt my stepson in order for the courts to approve the termination of rights from his father. This is perfect considering I have been wanting to adopt him for quite some time now, but we could not locate his father since he has been moving frequently from state to state to avoid payign child support. Can anyone tell me the process to do this and approximately how much it will cost? We were hoping to avoid using an attorney if that is even possible.

In your specific case - because there may be an issue with serving Dad - I think you NEED an attorney.
    Lighunt is offline Junior Member
    I don't think that serving him will be an issue since he has already told us that he WANTS to give up his rights and wants nothing to do with the son.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighunt View Post
    I don't think that serving him will be an issue since he has already told us that he WANTS to give up his rights and wants nothing to do with the son.

I based my answer upon you stating that you didn't know where Dad was...
    haiku is offline Senior Member
    If you really want this to happen, you WILL see a lawyer first.
    "It is easier to build strong children than repair broken men." Frederick Douglas
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haiku View Post
    If you really want this to happen, you WILL see a lawyer first.
    agreed.

adoption is too complicated to risk messing up the child's guardianship.
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    I think for a time they did not know where dad is but they know now.

However it is always said here that a step parent adoption is not a DIY project and you need an attorney to make sure everything is done properly.
    Seanscott is offline Member
    Our total cost for step parent adoption came to about $1,500 by the time it was all over & done with. The biological father fought the proceedings at first, but then just quit participating. We're in Indiana