• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepchild adoption TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susana

I have an 8 yr old child whose birth certificate shows no biological father. I recently married a man who would like to adopt him. I'd like to know if this is a rather simple process that we could do ourselves without having to pay attorney fees? If so, where can I get the form needed and what documents are required? My husband wants to adopt my son as my son has asked for him to do so.

Thanks,

I have an 8 yr old child whose birth certificate shows no biological father. I recently married a man who would like to adopt him. I'd like to know if this is a rather simple process that we could do ourselves without having to pay attorney fees? If so, where can I get the form needed and what documents are required? My husband wants to adopt my son as my son has asked for him to do so.

Thanks,
The big question...who is the Dad?

Just Blue

Thanks,
Where is the father? Has he had any contact at all...cards, child support, visitations ect...ANYTHING? If not ...how long since last contact?

susana

The father is not in the picture, never has and most likely never will. He lives in another country and 8 years ago chose not to be a father; therefore, when I had my son as was asked for the father's name I said I had no clue who it was, so in the birth certificate under father's name it says UNKNOWN. I have never received any money from him, nor do I want to, as he is not a part of my son's life. There is no last date of contact as they've never met.

The father is not in the picture, never has and most likely never will. He lives in another country and 8 years ago chose not to be a father; therefore, when I had my son as was asked for the father's name I said I had no clue who it was, so in the birth certificate under father's name it says UNKNOWN. I have never received any money from him, nor do I want to, as he is not a part of my son's life. There is no last date of contact as they've never met.
The problem is that you know who he is. You can't lie to get the adoption done. The right thing to do is to establish he is the Father through DNA and ask for his permission for the adoption. It seems he'll probably say "yes".

susana

Thanks for your reply. I cannot contact this man, lets just say he's not what you would call a nice person... Thanks for your time though.

Thanks for your reply. I cannot contact this man, lets just say he's not what you would call a nice person... Thanks for your time though.
Well, you definately will need an attorney. I nor anyone else would advise you to be dishonest about the natural Father. It's your own moral dilemma.

susana

Thanks again for taking the time to read my post and reply to it. I just wanted to clarify that the only reason why I'm not going to contact the "father" is because when I got pregnant it was the result of a rape. It's not because I'm being stubborn.

Again, thanks for your time and I shall follow your suggestions and contact an attorney to handle this.

Just Blue

Thanks again for taking the time to read my post and reply to it. I just wanted to clarify that the only reason why I'm not going to contact the "father" is because when I got pregnant it was the result of a rape. It's not because I'm being stubborn.

Again, thanks for your time and I shall follow your suggestions and contact an attorney to handle this.
This is important information!! Was the "man" charged with the rape? Was there a conviction?

susana

No, the man was not charged. It didn't happen here in the US, it happened in Mexico, where this man is very well connected and with quite a bit of money... long story short, I wasn't able to do a thing against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">