• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sunsonfire05

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tennessee
My question is this: I have a 9 year daughter that has not seen her bio-dad in 4 years. He quit paying child support in 2002 and then started paying again in 2004 and recently quit paying again in Oct. of 2005. I'm wanting to know how long I have to wait (how many months or years) before I can file to terminate his parental rights and have my husband of almost two years adopt my daughter. I know you can file to terminate due to no support and no visitation or contact with the child in a certain amount of time. My husband is also military and we are looking into going to Germany in a few years and I do want to go with him and our son and don't want to have to be left behind due to this situation. I can't seem to find the amount of time online and I didn't want to contact a lawyer until I found out how long I'm looking at waiting. I don't know where her bio-dad lives except to know it's in the state of Texas, mostly likely Houston.

Thanks... :)

seniorjudge

Sunsonfire05 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tennessee
My question is this: I have a 9 year daughter that has not seen her bio-dad in 4 years. He quit paying child support in 2002 and then started paying again in 2004 and recently quit paying again in Oct. of 2005. I'm wanting to know how long I have to wait (how many months or years) before I can file to terminate his parental rights and have my husband of almost two years adopt my daughter. I know you can file to terminate due to no support and no visitation or contact with the child in a certain amount of time. My husband is also military and we are looking into going to Germany in a few years and I do want to go with him and our son and don't want to have to be left behind due to this situation. I can't seem to find the amount of time online and I didn't want to contact a lawyer until I found out how long I'm looking at waiting. I don't know where her bio-dad lives except to know it's in the state of Texas, mostly likely Houston.

Thanks... :)

You need to talk to an adoption attorney; this is not a do-it-yourself project.

Sunsonfire05

I understand

seniorjudge said:
You need to talk to an adoption attorney; this is not a do-it-yourself project.
I understand this is not a do it yourself project and I do plan on contacting an adoption attorney in this matter but I just wanted to know up front before I contact anyone the amount of time I need to wait.

Sunsonfire05

6 Months/Lawyer

tigger22472 said:
Tennessee has a 6 month time period.
Thanks so much for the answer. Now I know if my ex-husband, my daughter bio-dad doesn't pay by the end of May, I can go to a lawyer. Now, I've got to find a lawyer. Anyone have any suggestions for a good lawyer in the Nashville, TN area?

Thanks..... :)

seniorjudge

Sunsonfire05 said:
Thanks so much for the answer. Now I know if my ex-husband, my daughter bio-dad doesn't pay by the end of May, I can go to a lawyer. Now, I've got to find a lawyer. Anyone have any suggestions for a good lawyer in the Nashville, TN area?

Thanks..... :)
http://www.nashbar.org/

Check with these folks.

ourfirstloves

Stepparent Adoption

I'm in OHIO, and I'd like to find out if my husband can adopt my little girl, if he is a former felon? He did 20 years for a Murder case, and was sentenced in 1986. His time is up, and we've been married nearly 2 years.
My child's biological does not support her in any way, but every once in a while sees her.
He was not adjudicated the father, but his name is on her birth certificate. We were never married, and I have no support order.
My husband wants to adopt her, and they love each other dearly. :)
If he can adopt her, is there a waiting period?

Silverplum

ourfirstloves said:
I'm in OHIO, and I'd like to find out if my husband can adopt my little girl, if he is a former felon? He did 20 years for a Murder case, and was sentenced in 1986. His time is up, and we've been married nearly 2 years.
My child's biological does not support her in any way, but every once in a while sees her.
He was not adjudicated the father, but his name is on her birth certificate. We were never married, and I have no support order.
Please start your own thread. Thanks.

fairisfair

ourfirstloves said:
start your own thread. No one will answer your questions on another posters thread.:)

Oh Oh, we are chasing each other again, go ahead Silver, tell them how to start their own thread.
edited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">