• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wscraps

What is the name of your state? ID
I just want a couple of opinions. My ex husband has pretty much abandoned his children. It has been two years since he has seen the kids, and over a year since he has made any contact at all or paid child support. I am wondering how open and shut the case is for termination of his rights for abandonment, so that my husband can adopt them? I am worried it will end up being long and drawn out, he doesn't want the kids, but he doesn't want to pay support or give up rights... any advice?

tigger22472

wscraps said:
What is the name of your state? ID
I just want a couple of opinions. My ex husband has pretty much abandoned his children. It has been two years since he has seen the kids, and over a year since he has made any contact at all or paid child support. I am wondering how open and shut the case is for termination of his rights for abandonment, so that my husband can adopt them? I am worried it will end up being long and drawn out, he doesn't want the kids, but he doesn't want to pay support or give up rights... any advice?

That would be a question for a local attorney as these things are often left to the judge's discression. I have seen cases where the parent has nothing to do with child/ren and contest the adoption and have it stopped and I have seen them where they haven't. If an adoption is filed the length of time it takes is dependant on many things including if the parent contests and how filled the court docket is.

wscraps

The attorney seems to think it is more or less open and shut, but we have been burned by this same situation two years ago, with my daughter, who has never seen him. I divorced him when I was pregnant with her. But anyway, our former attorney made a mistake and the judge dismissed the case. So with a questionable outcome, I guess I am afraid to move forward... Thanks for your help. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">