• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepfather adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firemanswife09

What is the name of your state(Indiana)? I was looking into my husbanding adopting my two girls. I know my exhusband will not be willing to sign anything to make this happen. He has not payed suporrt in over a year and when he did it was maybe a few weeks. He doesnt hold down a job very well due to his drinking and drugs. He has moved two years ago and has not seen the kids since. I know the city and state he lives but thats it. He will drunk dial the kids every few monthes from a prepaid cell phone. I try to find out where lives but he wont tell me. He is tearing my kids up every time he calls and I just want him out of our lives period. My question is can his drunkin atempts to call my kids be counted as contact? I also want to know if this would be difficult to do the adoption on my own, we dont have a whole lot to spead on a lawyerWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state(Indiana)? I was looking into my husbanding adopting my two girls. I know my exhusband will not be willing to sign anything to make this happen. He has not payed suporrt in over a year and when he did it was maybe a few weeks. He doesnt hold down a job very well due to his drinking and drugs. He has moved two years ago and has not seen the kids since. I know the city and state he lives but thats it. He will drunk dial the kids every few monthes from a prepaid cell phone. I try to find out where lives but he wont tell me. He is tearing my kids up every time he calls and I just want him out of our lives period. My question is can his drunkin atempts to call my kids be counted as contact? I also want to know if this would be difficult to do the adoption on my own, we dont have a whole lot to spead on a lawyerWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
His attempts to call HIS children are contact. Any support you receive (tax refunds and the like) is contact. YOU can NOT do a stepparent adoption without an attorney.

Proserpina

I know you want him out of the situation. But what you want isn't generally going to matter one iota unless Dad is proven to be unfit - and it's not going to be easy to prove that a) Dad was drunk when he called and b) doing so actually makes him unfit to parent (remembering that drinking is not illegal). It's not good parenting, it's not responsible parenting, but Dad does have the right - until a court decides otherwise - to be a crappy parent.

Perhaps more importantly, it could be concluded that Dad's habits (assuming you can prove his drug use/drinking to begin with) were acceptable enough for you to have kids with - you might very well have to justify exactly why it's no longer acceptable to you.

Did you ever file for contempt over the unpaid child support?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">