• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather wants to adopt...but....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mama23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Long story. I was married and we split up. I got pregnant by someone else and when I told the father he denied it. I was never officially divorced from my husband, but we ended up getting back together. HE WAS COMPLETELY AWARE THE BABY WASN'T HIS. Well as time went on and the pregnancy continued. I ended up having the baby. About 2 years after having her. He signed her his name to the birth certificate.

2 years past and we decide to split up. In my divorce papers and states that husband acknowledges that he is NOT the biological father and agrees to a step parent adoption (assuming I ever wanted to remarry.)

Here we are 8 years later and I am married and my husband wants to adopt my daughter. The divorce papers say my ex even though he is not her biologoical father agrees to the step parent adoption (because he was still legally her father because we were married at the time.)

I know it's a very complex situation. What is the next process? Should I try to find the biological father because I have put ads looking for him (ex: in news papers where I last knew where he was) and even online and I never found him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You may have to contact the actual biological father as you allowed fraud to be commited when your husband signed the AOP.

lolabunny

i am remarried and my husband recently adopted my three children from a previouse marriege and what we were told by the courts is that he (the biological father )had to sign papers to terminate his writes to the children or if he didnt we had to petion the courts to terminate his rights you can get the papers from the court house but if u have a aterny do it you need to make sure that he is not expencive and can get the job done quickly

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i am remarried and my husband recently adopted my three children from a previouse marriege and what we were told by the courts is that he (the biological father )had to sign papers to terminate his writes to the children or if he didnt we had to petion the courts to terminate his rights you can get the papers from the court house but if u have a aterny do it you need to make sure that he is not expencive and can get the job done quickly
Please do NOT post advice unless you are sure it is legal and correct for the OP's state. And when you do post USE PROPER English.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">