• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather wants to adopt but biological father resists

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mychild

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC My ex moved out the house right after my daughters first birthday. A year later he moved to the other side of the country. Few months later I took my little one there so he can see her and ever since he has not seen her. That was almost 4 years ago. So for 4 years he saw my daughter once.He paid child support at first but he has not paid for over 2 years. However he pays for medical insurance for my son although I have insured him since last June. My hasbund has been in most of my daughter's life, since she was 1.5 years old. My lo only know my hasbund and she adores him. My baby does not know her biological father because he never came to visit her. Now the biological father has a claim for child support and visitation and we have one for adaption. I do not want his money. What are my chances of terminating his rights? He will not giving up his rights without a fight.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC My ex moved out the house right after my daughters first birthday. A year later he moved to the other side of the country. Few months later I took my little one there so he can see her and ever since he has not seen her. That was almost 4 years ago. So for 4 years he saw my daughter once.He paid child support at first but he has not paid for over 2 years. However he pays for medical insurance for my son although I have insured him since last June. My hasbund has been in most of my daughter's life, since she was 1.5 years old. My lo only know my hasbund and she adores him. My baby does not know her biological father because he never came to visit her. Now the biological father has a claim for child support and visitation and we have one for adaption. I do not want his money. What are my chances of terminating his rights? He will not giving up his rights without a fight.
You need to re-read what you posted and do some editing, because it is totally confusing.

Proserpina

You need to re-read what you posted and do some editing, because it is totally confusing.
Lemme try translate:

Mom & Dad had baby.

Mom & Dad split up.

Mom took child to visit Dad 4 years ago, and since then Dad hasn't seen their mutual daughter.

Mom is now married and wants her husband to adopt the child.

Dad has filed for visitation and to initiate child support, and provides health insurance already for .. oh. Yeah. A son. Okay, I have no idea.

Sorry, carry on.

(Maybe she's trying to switch pronouns to avoid identification. I dunno. It's Friday 13th, so anything is possible)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Lemme try translate:

Mom & Dad had baby.

Mom & Dad split up.

Mom took child to visit Dad 4 years ago, and since then Dad hasn't seen their mutual daughter.

Mom is now married and wants her husband to adopt the child.

Dad has filed for visitation and to initiate child support, and provides health insurance already for .. oh. Yeah. A son. Okay, I have no idea.

Sorry, carry on.

(Maybe she's trying to switch pronouns to avoid identification. I dunno. It's Friday 13th, so anything is possible)
I got nothing .. still wine.. from yesterday... so.. check my thread...

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC My ex moved out the house right after my daughters first birthday. A year later he moved to the other side of the country. Few months later I took my little one there so he can see her and ever since he has not seen her. That was almost 4 years ago. So for 4 years he saw my daughter once.He paid child support at first but he has not paid for over 2 years. However he pays for medical insurance for my son although I have insured him since last June. My husband has been in most of my daughter's life, since she was 1.5 years old. My lo only know my hasbund and she adores him. My baby does not know her biological father because he never came to visit her. Now the biological father has a claim for child support and visitation and we have one for adaption. I do not want his money. What are my chances of terminating his rights? He will not giving up his rights without a fight.
If the father is now making a sincere effort to become part of the child's life, even belatedly as it seems, I predict that you will encounter some serious difficulties in any attempt to terminate his parental rights.

The U. S. Supreme Court has consistently been highly protective of the parent/child relationship and treats the rights of a parent as a property right under the "due process clauses" of the United States Constitution.

Anyway, you ought to be directing your questions to an attorney in your area knowledgeable of and experienced in the subject matter. Not to anonymous strangers. Particularly those having trouble reading.

Just Blue

If the father is now making a sincere effort to become part of the child's life, even belatedly as it seems, I predict that you will encounter some serious difficulties in any attempt to terminate his parental rights.

The U. S. Supreme Court has consistently been highly protective of the parent/child relationship and treats the rights of a parent as a property right under the "due process clauses" of the United States Constitution.

Anyway, you ought to be directing your questions to an attorney in your area knowledgeable of and experienced in the subject matter. Not to anonymous strangers. Particularly those having trouble reading.
I don't think any of the others has an issues with reading...And OP is a bit confusing in her post.

latigo

I don't think any of the others has an issues with reading...And OP is a bit confusing in her post.
Proserpina seems to have caught the drift. Would you like me to quote from her response, or might you have trouble there as well?

Now would you care to expand on the central issue of the termination of paternity rights in view of the high court's cases on the subject or just continue with the nitpicking?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">