• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepmom wants to adopt. Bio mom is on meth!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bradybunchmom

Colorado.... We are a blended family. I have 2 kids, my husband has 2 kids. Long story short... his x wife was busted with meth in March of 2014 and has been spiraling sense. Her dad is a millionaire and has been inabeling her in every way! The current court order states that if she can prove that she has been clean for 6 months she can have her 50% parenting time back. 2 weeks on, and 2 weeks off.... She has been on an active warrant for the past two months, and can't make it through one month of clean drug tests! She is ordered to pay 500 dollars a month, and has not paid a penny in the year and a half that we have had the kids. She hasn't called the kids in several months, and is consistently inconsistent with visits. We can't afford an attorney any more... we have spent all of our savings on this. What do I need to do in order to adopt my babies? Everything we do in a day is for the benefit of our children. How can we protect them? Are we at the point that I can file for adoption??? Please help!!!

Proserpina

Colorado.... We are a blended family. I have 2 kids, my husband has 2 kids. Long story short... his x wife was busted with meth in March of 2014 and has been spiraling sense. Her dad is a millionaire and has been inabeling her in every way! The current court order states that if she can prove that she has been clean for 6 months she can have her 50% parenting time back. 2 weeks on, and 2 weeks off.... She has been on an active warrant for the past two months, and can't make it through one month of clean drug tests! She is ordered to pay 500 dollars a month, and has not paid a penny in the year and a half that we have had the kids. She hasn't called the kids in several months, and is consistently inconsistent with visits. We can't afford an attorney any more... we have spent all of our savings on this. What do I need to do in order to adopt my babies? Everything we do in a day is for the benefit of our children. How can we protect them? Are we at the point that I can file for adoption??? Please help!!!
At this point, it's attorney or bust. You cannot, and should not, attempt this without an attorney.

Eekamouse

How is it that you know so much of your husband's ex personal life? Do you think your step-children want this? Do you think their mother will agree to the adoption?

single317dad

Given that Mom does see the kids (though inconsistently), I think supervised visitation and support enforcement through CSE is more appropriate. You're jumping the gun on adoption, IMO.

CSO286

Yes, you are a blended family. No, your husband's children are not your babies.

And as long as she maintains a relationship (even with sporadic contact) with HER children, you aren't going to be successful pursuing a stepparent adoption without [both] her consent and an attorney.

And many many parents fail to pay their child support obligation. Even combined with Mom's drug use, it most likely will not be enough to surmount the fact that mom does have a relationship with HER children.

Eekamouse

She still needs to explain how it is that she knows so much about her husnad's ex's business. How much of this is her assuming and how much of this actual FACT.

commentator

What I profoundly dislike and mistrust about this OP's posts are the !!!!'s and the "ON METH!!!!!" In years past, it became stylish to come in when you were wanting a divorce or a child custody case settled in your direction to announce that the other parent, bio mom, whatever was sexually or mentally ABUSING THE CHILD(REN)!!!! Then judges got wise to this attempt to excite and create sympathy for your side. Then it became "ON DRUGS!" and now it's "ON METH!!!!" and we're instantly supposed to be on your side. I agree, meth addiction is a bad thing. This mother of children is having a rough time if it's true. But that does NOT mean that you get to have your little "Brady Bunch" fantasy while she is shipped off to rehab or something. She is still your stepchildren's mother. YOU are a legal stranger to these children. If her dad is rich, she can get attorneys all day to help her retain custody and keep you uninvolved. And I'd sort of forget about getting full custody of (not to mention adopting) the step kids unless first of all she is willing for you to do so or dies suddenly as the former wives and husbands all did on the Brady bunch. Or unless you have a whole lot more money to put in on it, which it doesn't sound like you do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">