• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepmom who wants to adopt stepson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

makaio14

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband has full custody of his 8 year old son. His ex-wife is currently paying child support. I would like to adopt him, in case anything ever happened to my husband, I would have custody of his son. His ex-wife occasionally gets him every other weekend, but does not call her son ever. His grandmother calls and picks him up and drops him off.
My husband's ex-wife has said quite a few times she is considering giving up all rights to their son.
My question is, if I adopt his son does the ex-wife still pay child support? Also in the support papers she has reasonable visitation. Would she still get that if I adopted him?
Any suggestions or advice would be great.

Thank you,
Step mom

enjay

If the bio-mom terminates her parental rights and you adopt your stepson, she will lose all visitation and rights to the child and won't pay child support. As she is nominally involved in your stepson's life, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to happen. I'd also question whether it's in the best interest of your stepson to do this. He will have major issues about his mother not wanting him.

edited to add...is this the same husband you were separated from a couple of months ago? This is definitely not a good idea.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">