• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LONDON MOM

What is the name of your state? Florida-
My 13 year old daughter's BIO-father has never seen her and I have NO clue where he could be, Although he does know about her, he was a heroin addict last I heard(about 1993) She thinks my husband is her natural father, since we've been together since she was a baby, and married now for 9 yrs. She only thinks she has a different last name because her daddys name isn't on her birth certificate. Would an adoption be simple enough without her knowledge of the details, or is a name change all we need? Does the fact I have no knowledge of the BIO's whereabouts positive or negative?
Thank you. Oh, such a long wait was because of financial reasons.

BelizeBreeze

You can change her name simple enough through the courts after notifying the bio-father and, if he can't be found, by service through other means allowed by the courts.

Forget adoption because it's going to be expensive and long. Notice is not only required, but also required will be at a minimum, the bio-father's permission or, short of that, a petition to terminate the bio-father's rights.

BelizeBreeze

LONDON MOM said:
thanks a bunch. Does the fact his name was never on the B.C. matter at all?
Yes.

You will still be required to name him or 'father unknown' and if you do the second, and he finds out (which HAS happened and there is plenty of case law) then the adoption can be overturned in the future and you can go to jail for adoption fraud.

Not to mention what it will do to your husband and the child. Is it worth it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">