• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tara l

What is the name of your state? Florida My son was born out of wedlock and the father's name is on the birth certificate but the day I came home from the hospital he left.He has no contact with me or my son and I don't even know where he is.My new husband really wants to adopt my son but we don't know what all we need to do about it.Is there any way for my husband to adopt him?where would I have to go to get started?What is the name of your state?What all do we need to do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
tara l said:
What is the name of your state? Florida My son was born out of wedlock and the father's name is on the birth certificate but the day I came home from the hospital he left.He has no contact with me or my son and I don't even know where he is.My new husband really wants to adopt my son but we don't know what all we need to do about it.Is there any way for my husband to adopt him?where would I have to go to get started?What is the name of your state?What all do we need to do?
Was paternity established by daddy? Did he sign an AOP? If not you need to head to court and have paternity established. because daddy can't abandon a child he does not have. Which legally since you weren't married, he may not be legally the father. As for contact, does he pay child support? Is there a child support order? Before you say he is abandoning the child he has to have a child and responsibilities/obligations to abandon.
If he has all that, then you and your husband can't be NEWLY married. The court wants to make sure that you are in a stable relationship. Newly married won't cut it. You will have to go to court and petition for dad's rights to be terminated so your husband can adopt.

ivory

do you have the ea's social security number?? Because that is the way to find him, let the courts do all the work for you, do it right no matter how long it takes.

ceara19

ivory said:
do you have the ea's social security number?? Because that is the way to find him, let the courts do all the work for you, do it right no matter how long it takes.
The court is NOT going to "do the work FOR her".:rolleyes:

SPR

On the ethical side of things, what does the child have to benefit from the name change? Just something else to think about.

Silverplum

SPR said:
On the ethical side of things, what does the child have to benefit from the name change? Just something else to think about.
Uh...it's not a name change, it's an entire adoption. What on earth is unethical about adoption? Or name changes? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">