• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JK123

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My son is now 7. His mother and I divorced 5 years ago. I have paid child support each month, on time. I have never seen my son. My exwife remarried and wants her new husband to adopt my son. I have agreed since we live in different states now (divorce was in Alabama). SHe request that I pay the attorney fee for the adoption ($1000) and sign the papers and nolonger have to pay her child support. Well this was in July 2006. The adoption has yet to go infront of the judge, which is the only hold up...the docket is so long. The attorney tells me it should be final in FEbruaury next month. BUT since it has taken longer than my ex thought, she now wants me to pay the back support since July 2006. I was told that once the judge signs the papers, it relinquishes her from any back support. Is this correct? I have signed the papers in July, paid the attorneys fees, her new husband has signed...all paperwork has been complete and the only hold up is the signing of the judge. I dont want to go to jail over back support of $3000....and would have paid it all along had she not told me I no longer had to after signing and paying for adoption. Please answer my question. Am I still obligated to pay back support once judge signs papers? Thank you!

seniorjudge

Q: I was told that once the judge signs the papers, it relinquishes her from any back support. Is this correct?

A: It relieves you (generally) from support from that point forward. Look at this way: You have a judgment in a lawsuit telling you to pay child support. Until that judgment is changed, you must pay child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">