• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevlar74

What is the name of your state? Missouri (see below)

I am interested in adopting my stepchild. She was born in Illinois and we live in Missouri. Which state do adopt her in?

Secondly, her mother and I are recently separated. Is this going to affect the adoption process? Should I adopt before we file for divorce?

Lastly, there is no father listed on the birth certificate and as far as I know my wife does not know who the father is for various reasons not discussed here. Will a previous paternity investigation conducted by the State of Illinois approximately nine years ago for the purpose of State Benefits suffice or will this have to be conducted again?

Kevlar74

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Missouri (see below)

I am interested in adopting my stepchild. She was born in Illinois and we live in Missouri. Which state do adopt her in?

Missouri.

Secondly, her mother and I are recently separated. Is this going to affect the adoption process? Should I adopt before we file for divorce?

Most courts WILL NOT let you adopt a stepchild when your marriage is not stable. The process can also take a year or so. If you are recently separated you most probably are living apart and not in the same home and hence do not have a stable home environment. Its highly likely you would not get to adopt.

Lastly, there is no father listed on the birth certificate and as far as I know my wife does not know who the father is for various reasons not discussed here. Will a previous paternity investigation conducted by the State of Illinois approximately nine years ago for the purpose of State Benefits suffice or will this have to be conducted again?

Kevlar74
Your wife will have to try to locate dad again and serve dad that his rights will be terminated IF you can even pursue the adoption. Why did you wait so long before deciding you wanted to adopt your stepchild?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">