• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent Adoption - Military family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

howhardcanitbe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas, home of record: Texas

I am so confused!

My son has never met his biological father - we parted ways when I was three months pregnant and his parental rights were terminated when my son was one. My son is about to turn four, and I got married six months ago to a man that helped to spiritually support me while I was pregnant and who became my significant other after the termination case.

From what I've read, for my husband to adopt my son would be very easy since his biological father was terminated, but I am still a bit concerned as we are a military family. Our home of record is in Texas, but we are stationed in Kansas and have been here since getting married. Do I need to look into Kansas state law or Texas state law in order to start the ball rolling on the adoption?

Am I making this all too simple?

Like many moms (and dads) out there, I am very anxious to find out how much this will cost. Undoubtedly, it will be worth every dime spent in this endeavor - still, can anyone give me a ball park or more information about where we should start?

Thank you (and Merry Christmas!)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas, home of record: Texas

I am so confused!

My son has never met his biological father - we parted ways when I was three months pregnant and his parental rights were terminated when my son was one. My son is about to turn four, and I got married six months ago to a man that helped to spiritually support me while I was pregnant and who became my significant other after the termination case.

From what I've read, for my husband to adopt my son would be very easy since his biological father was terminated, but I am still a bit concerned as we are a military family. Our home of record is in Texas, but we are stationed in Kansas and have been here since getting married. Do I need to look into Kansas state law or Texas state law in order to start the ball rolling on the adoption?

Am I making this all too simple?

Like many moms (and dads) out there, I am very anxious to find out how much this will cost. Undoubtedly, it will be worth every dime spent in this endeavor - still, can anyone give me a ball park or more information about where we should start?

Thank you (and Merry Christmas!)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
For any adoption you really need to hire an attorney. The laws are very complicated and just 1 minor error can cause huge problems later.

LdiJ

For any adoption you really need to hire an attorney. The laws are very complicated and just 1 minor error can cause huge problems later.
I agree, you need an adoption attorney.

However, I can tell you that if the father's rights were actually terminated (and that is possible in TX) then they are terminated period. It wouldn't matter which state handled the adoption, his rights would still be terminated.

haiku

Exactly. If his rights were legally terminated, that would hold in every state.

The adoption would be done in your state of legal residence, and don't do it without lawyer consult. This is one time where free advice, is not enough.

howhardcanitbe

Thank you

Thank you to those who replied. I will try to find a lawyer in Kansas who can give us a consultation. It's good to know that we might not have to go back to Texas to get this done.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year filled with joy and prosperity.

Blessings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">