• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent adoption and terminating grandparent rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nursebethany81

Yeah stealth I do know what paternal means..! I meant to say biological! So if you have nothing else to say in regards to helping me then go find someone else to criticize!

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, I would have thought that a nurse would know the difference. Go figure.

Seriously - keep it to one thread, on one board.

LdiJ

In Indiana standing to sue for gpv survives a stepparent or close family member adoption. Therefore a stepparent adoption would not cancel out an existing gpv order.

In Indiana, once a gpv order has been made it is very difficult to get it vacated unless the grandparent does something dire. 1) Abuses the child, 2) allows the parent whose rights have been terminated to have access to the child, 3) commits a major crime, 4) proves to seriously, negatively influence the child, or 5) the child doesn't want the visitation and is old enough for the courts to take them seriously...etc.

nursebethany81

LdiJ: Thank you for responding. I thought that GPV survived an adoption, but just wanted to check. I already have a clause in the original order for there to be no contact with her father. If they allow the contact then they lose their rights.

Isis1

Stealth2 obviously you have nothing better to do than to go on people's threads. You probably sit in your pajamas all day at the computer playing with yourself because you have no life or real job. And I do know the difference. Plus I know the difference between someone who knows how to post helpful information and one that doesn't.You are in the latter of course- LOSER!
aren't you just a bundle of sunshine.

you were notified of a mistake you made. do you really want to walk around repeating that same mistake over and over again? are you one of those people that get angry when i let them know their dress is tucked in their underwear while walking in a busy train station?

you could have said "oops, my mistake. i'll fix that."

AHA

The grandparents of my daughter already have court appointed visitation, that they won in court, due to the fact their son is in jail for child molesation of another girl and can't exercise his visitation. So yes, they have been a part of my daughter's life, not to my liking.
So, what have THEY done that was harmful to their grandchild? Does the child hate them as much as you do?

ErinGoBragh

The courts obviously saw GPV as being to the benefit of the child. I don't think that your husband adopting the child would change the courts mind.

Proserpina

In Indiana standing to sue for gpv survives a stepparent or close family member adoption. Therefore a stepparent adoption would not cancel out an existing gpv order.

In Indiana, once a gpv order has been made it is very difficult to get it vacated unless the grandparent does something dire. 1) Abuses the child, 2) allows the parent whose rights have been terminated to have access to the child, 3) commits a major crime, 4) proves to seriously, negatively influence the child, or 5) the child doesn't want the visitation and is old enough for the courts to take them seriously...etc.

Thanks for clarifying that, L. I was fairly certain that was the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">