• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent adoption& voluntary term of rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misjaim07

What is the name of your state? Idaho

Is there any way I can do the forms for a termination of my ex-husbands rights and adoption of my daughter by my husband without an attorney?

My Ex is totally okay with this and told me to go ahead with everything. I know there are options for doing legal stuff yourself and I am willing to go through it all, I just need to know where to get the proper information.

Help Please; we want to get this all done before my daughter starts school in August so that her new name will be in effect.

Silverplum

Is there any way I can do the forms for a termination of my ex-husbands rights and adoption of my daughter by my husband without an attorney?

My Ex is totally okay with this and told me to go ahead with everything. I know there are options for doing legal stuff yourself and I am willing to go through it all, I just need to know where to get the proper information.

Help Please; we want to get this all done before my daughter starts school in August so that her new name will be in effect.
This is the post just below yours, answered just a little while ago:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showpost.php?p=1959544&postcount=2

And the answer is the same: We NEVER advise people to adopt without the services of an adoption attorney. We help people do many things in family court without attorneys, but not adoption.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Yes, you CAN do them, but they are complex. I can tell you one thing for sure...you are NOT going to finish this by August.
I would recommend that you, at least, consult with an attorney for guidance.
I was able to do my daughter's step-parent adoption without an attorney, however it was VERY complex. I made a relatively minor error which extended the time by over 3 months. Luckily for us, we didn't have a time issue as you seem to.

misjaim07

This is the post just below yours, answered just a little while ago:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showpost.php?p=1959544&postcount=2

And the answer is the same: We NEVER advise people to adopt without the services of an adoption attorney. We help people do many things in family court without attorneys, but not adoption.
Thank you very much for your reply; I understand that you don't advise this. However, if I were to do the forms before having a lawyer help me with the filing, where could I get them?

misjaim07

Thank You Zigner. Where can I find those forms? I am willing to do what I have to, but my sister has been recently drug through the mud financially because of her lawyer and I would really prefer to do this on my own if I can; no matter how long it takes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank You Zigner. Where can I find those forms? I am willing to do what I have to, but my sister has been recently drug through the mud financially because of her lawyer and I would really prefer to do this on my own if I can; no matter how long it takes.
If you cannot find the forms in the first place, then you cannot do this yourself. I am NOT trying to be rude, I am just being honest.

I live in Nevada and I purchased the forms for $75 from a legal supply store here. They weren't very hard to fill out, but I don't know about Idaho

Just Blue

I live in Nevada and I purchased the forms for $75 from a legal supply store here. They weren't very hard to fill out, but I don't know about Idaho
So what is your point? If you don't have LEGALLY RELEVANT information to a thread ...please don't post. I am not trying to be nasty...but irrelevant comments can confuse the issue.

Just Blue

I was just trying to be helpful in that the lady from Idaho may be able to obtain adoption forms from her local legal supply store.
I know you were trying to be helpful...but unless you KNOW the answer for her state, it's best to just sit back and learn.

You would want another member to send you off on a wild goose chase on your thread would you???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">