• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking Back the Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robbyrob328

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My step-father and I have a recent fall out. I adopted his name when I was 13. Because of the fallout he wants to take back the last name I adopted. Can he forcefully do so?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My step-father and I have a recent fall out. I adopted his name when I was 13. Because of the fallout he wants to take back the last name I adopted. Can he forcefully do so?

LOL - sorry I'm not making fun of you ... but rather your step-father.

Your name belongs to you. Not him. You. He has no more rights to your name than I do.

robbyrob328

LOL - sorry I'm not making fun of you ... but rather your step-father.

Your name belongs to you. Not him. You. He has no more rights to your name than I do.
Is there anything that he can do lawfully? I am 25 so he no longer has any parental rights over me. His concern is that if he and my mother pass away, anything in his name will automatically be split between me and my two younger brothers and he doesn't want me to have any of it lol

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is there anything that he can do lawfully? I am 25 so he no longer has any parental rights over me. His concern is that if he and my mother pass away, anything in his name will automatically be split between me and my two younger brothers and he doesn't want me to have any of it lol
He's a putz. You are his son - same last name or not. If he chooses to disown you, he needs to do it legally.

Proserpina

Awwww ... that poor little lamb, is him's feelings hurted?

(sorry, sorry - it's just that parents like this don't deserve the name "parent")

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Nope. He has no control over your name. In fact, you could change your first name to his first name if you felt like paying the legal $ to do so. Or even change your name to "The Real [stepfather's name]".

He doesn't sound too bright, because if he's really worried about who inherits, he could just write a will. Seriously, if he adopted you as a minor, no matter what your name is now, if he dies intestate, you could possibly inherit. Lots of women choose to change their names when marrying - doesn't change their ability to inherit from parents who die intestate.

If stepdad DIDN'T adopt you, then it's a little different.

And in ANY case, your mother is your mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">