• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminate parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelplessGirl

What is the name of your state? Florida

My ex-husband disappeared almost 3 years ago and I had to do my divorce on my own proving a "diligent search.” I have been best friends with my current boyfriend for over 10 years and he would like to adopt my daughter. I would like to know what the Florida law is on adopting. First, I understand my ex-husband has to forfeit his parental rights, if I am unable to locate him, what do I do to start the adoption process. Next, I need to know if we have to be married for him to adopt and take parental responsibility. If so, is there a certain amount of time I must be married? Please help.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Florida

My ex-husband disappeared almost 3 years ago and I had to do my divorce on my own proving a "diligent search.” I have been best friends with my current boyfriend for over 10 years and he would like to adopt my daughter. I would like to know what the Florida law is on adopting. First, I understand my ex-husband has to forfeit his parental rights, if I am unable to locate him, what do I do to start the adoption process. Next, I need to know if we have to be married for him to adopt and take parental responsibility. If so, is there a certain amount of time I must be married? Please help.
You can find the adoption statutes at www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES chapter 63.

Yes, you must be married for at least one year before adoption proceedings can begin.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">