• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminate parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelplessGirl

:confused:What is the name of your state? Florida

My ex-husband disappeared almost 3 years ago and I had to do my divorce on my own proving a "diligent search.” I have been best friends with my current boyfriend for over 10 years and he would like to adopt my daughter. I would like to know what the Florida law is on adopting. First, I understand my ex-husband has to forfeit his parental rights, if I am unable to locate him, what do I do to start the adoption process. Next, I need to know if we have to be married for him to adopt and take parental responsibility. If so, is there a certain amount of time I must be married? Please help.What is the name of your state?

christyfleming

:) first off you must be married for one year. 2nd you can terminate the biological fathers rights for abandonment. if he has had no contact or contributed financially for 6 months or longer you may terminate. 3rd if your daughter is over 12 she can consent to the adoption with an affidavit or in person after filing termination and adoption with the courts. you will have to have a home study and a criminal background check for your husband/boyfriend. I have done this my self in texas.my sons father signed his rights over for me there was no fight. Your reason for filing would be for abandoment. you can do it yourself by going to your local law library and copying required forms or just contact a family lawyer and pay losts of money. it cost me $900.00 for the filing fees.these fees very from state to state. lawyers fees were going to be $3500.00-$5000.00.
forms needed

petition for termination of fathers rights
order of termination
order for homestudy
mothers consent form for adoption
petition for adoption
order granting adoption
order for criminal background check
forms to send to main dps in forida for criminal background
certificate of adoption

now in your case you should be able to copy the forms that have both proceedings in on form. i did my separately so i had to have all kind of forms. it will have termination and adoption. now you may choose to terminate now and do the adoption later. i did mine
3yrs apart. i can email you the forms if needed [email protected]. hope everything works out for you. best of wishes. hope this is helpful:D

Gracie3787

:) first off you must be married for one year. 2nd you can terminate the biological fathers rights for abandonment. if he has had no contact or contributed financially for 6 months or longer you may terminate. 3rd if your daughter is over 12 she can consent to the adoption with an affidavit or in person after filing termination and adoption with the courts. you will have to have a home study and a criminal background check for your husband/boyfriend.I have done this myself in texas.my sons father signed his rights over for me there was no fight. Your reason for filing would be for abandoment. you can do it yourself by going to your local law library and copying required forms or just contact a family lawyer and pay losts of money. it cost me $900.00 for the filing fees.these fees very from state to state. lawyers fees were going to be $3500.00-$5000.00.
forms needed

petition for termination of fathers rights
order of termination
order for homestudy
mothers consent form for adoption
petition for adoption
order granting adoption
order for criminal background check
forms to send to main dps in forida for criminal background
certificate of adoption

now in your case you should be able to copy the forms that have both proceedings in on form. i did my separately so i had to have all kind of forms. it will have termination and adoption. now you may choose to terminate now and do the adoption later. i did mine
3yrs apart. i can email you the forms if needed [email protected]. hope everything works out for you. best of wishes. hope this is helpful:D
I know that you are trying to help, but please understand that the laws are different for each state. The OP is in Florida, you referred to what can be done in Texas.

Also, a correct answer was given on OP's other thread. Please do not post information that you have not verified is correct for the OP's state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">