• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminating absent parent's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Judez

What is the name of your state?South Dakota

After my son was born 12 yrs ago, I had to apply for aid from the state and listed his bio dad under a name that I am still not sure of it being completely correct. I have never heard from him, he is not on the birth certificate, and child support has never collected a dime or found anyone under his name. They are officially closing my case. Now I am getting married, and my soon to be husband wants to adopt my son. What is the easiest way of doing this, and can any of it be done without a lawyer as money is tight

brisgirl825

You need to contact an atty. Many offer free consultations and that will help you find out if your case is likely to be granted an adoption and what you can expect to pay.
Since you don't know where dad is, notice can be given by publication but if this, or any other part of an adoption, is done incorrectly it can give dad the ammo to have the adoption overturned. You must use an atty.
Does your son want to be adopted? At his age a judge will likely take his wishes into consideration.

http://library.adoption.com/termination-of-parental-rights/grounds-for-termination-of-parental-rights-south-dakota/article/8663/1.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">