• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating father's rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrittanyVJ23

What is the name of your state? Texas

My ex-husband, the father of my oldest child, is currently in a Texas prison serving time for a crime committed against her. If need be I can share the exact nature of the crime. He took a plea deal in June of 2006 and has since been sitting in prison. My husband was in Iraq while the sentencing went on or we would have gone ahead and started the termination process sooner. He is now back and we are wondering where we even start. I saw an attorney about a month ago and to even start the process with the law firm it would be about $5,000 and he said that didn't even cover the adoption part of the process.

I am just trying to find a light at the end of this very, very dark tunnel. I just need some advice on how to get this ball rolling, approximately how long it could take and if I really need an attorney to help me since there is already a conviction(and if it's possible for JAG to help).

Last edited:

BrittanyVJ23

Thank you for the help.

Should I attempt to approach him with the subject? Would it be better to see if he's willing to sign over his rights? Would this save a lot of time or is it not even worth it? I'm not sure of the exact location of the prison or if I can even handle seeing him after what he did to my little girl.

Silverplum

Thank you for the help.

Should I attempt to approach him with the subject? Would it be better to see if he's willing to sign over his rights? Would this save a lot of time or is it not even worth it? I'm not sure of the exact location of the prison or if I can even handle seeing him after what he did to my little girl.
You're welcome. :)

Well, I've never done this myself and I am not an attorney. But it looks to me like the list on the link says that you can terminate his rights whether he likes it or not. So you don't have to see him if you don't want to, or ask him. I'm not even sure he has grounds to object at this point.

You really do need an attorney, because this is said to be a VERY difficult process.

Silverplum

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help.
You're welcome! (You have NO idea how much I like it when posters respond with a thank-you!)
BrittanyVJ23 said:
Do you have any idea if JAG can assist us?
No...but will look around. You could call & ask. :)

Here's a link to JAG, and I can't link "further in" than the home page. Go down to "Family Law Matters," click, then there is a section on that page for "Adoption." It does say, right at the beginning of the "Adoption" page, that, "Your installation legal assistance office may advise you on local adoption law or refer you to local adoption agencies." Then there's a bunch more info. Keep reading, all the way down. There's also info on being reimbursed for adoption expenses, but I dunno if it will apply to your family. Look and see!

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/Legal

BrittanyVJ23

Now I'm really getting somewhere!! Again, thank you so much. I don't feel so helpless anymore.

I think to even ask a question I have to make an appointment. But, I will call to double check.

Silverplum

Now I'm really getting somewhere!! Again, thank you so much. I don't feel so helpless anymore.

I think to even ask a question I have to make an appointment. But, I will call to double check.
I'm very glad to help you, and happy to hear you no longer feel so helpless. :) :)

CCMominVA

We used JAG

Hello, we had a bit of an easier situation since my ex-husband consented to our step-parent adoption, but JAG provided all the legal counsel for our situation.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">