• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thinking of seeking custody of brothers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barnes_jm

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I am 24 years old and I have three younger brothers (14,15,17). I have graduated college and now have a full-time job that pays decent. I am engaged to a wonderful man who is also employed and does well.
I raised my younger brothers in our single parent home (my stepdad) until I moved out at age 19. My dad abused all of us physically, mentally and emotionally. He also molested me. Now that my brothers are older he has been known to punch them full force (once he thought he broke my brother's rib, and almost took him to the hospital, but it was only hurt not broken). I have become very suspicious that perhaps he has been molesting at least one of them, because he did it to me and my brother shows all the warning signs.
What I want to know is how much of a chance I would have in court, and also if there is any way I would be able to get any financial help if I were to gain custody. My fiance and I have plenty of money for our own needs, but taking on three teenage boys is a bit of a financial strain.

barnes_jm

abuse was not reported, but would likely be a precursor to me trying to gain custody.
I wasn't sure where to put the post and since I am wanting to ADOPT my brothers I thought this might be a good place. maybe I should repost in another section?

barnes_jm

He is the biological father of my brothers, but not of me. Also our mother is a bi-polar alcoholic living with an abusive boyfriend in another city. She lost custody of us when I was 9.

Silverplum

abuse was not reported, but would likely be a precursor to me trying to gain custody.
Hm.
barnes_jm said:
I wasn't sure where to put the post and since I am wanting to ADOPT my brothers I thought this might be a good place. maybe I should repost in another section?
No, just leave it here. You didn't say anything about adopting in your first post.

Adopting is a huge deal. You'd need an attorney. You'd need a stable marriage, not "fiance," or "bf." You'd need him to adopt, too. You'd need Dad's agreement and Mom's agreement.

This is not a little picnic.

Silverplum

He is the biological father of my brothers, but not of me. Also our mother is a bi-polar alcoholic living with an abusive boyfriend in another city. She lost custody of us when I was 9.
When you write, "lost custody of us," does that mean, in a court with a judge's signature?

You NEED an attorney.

barnes_jm

I never assumed it would be "a little picnic"
If need be, my fiance and I can go down to city hall and get a marriage license tomorrow, we've been together for 6 years now and the only reason we have not gotten married is because we are saving up money to have our wedding the way we want it without settling; so that is not even an issue.
Obviously, I am not expecting to get Dad's agreement here. What are the legal differences between gaining custody and adopting? Maybe I am just looking at it the wrong way....
When my mother and dad split, she handed over full custody of my brothers to my dad and let me choose, I chose to go with my brothers so I could be with them. It is all legal, my mother has no legal custody over any of us....

Last edited:

mommyof4

(very simple, basic information)

Custody: the care and control of the children.

Adopt: You are now the parent. Mom and Dad's parental rights are terminated.

Silverplum

I never assumed it would be "a little picnic"
If need be, my fiance and I can go down to city hall and get a marriage license tomorrow, we've been together for 6 years now and the only reason we have not gotten married is because we are saving up money to have our wedding the way we want it without settling; so that is not even an issue.
It's an issue to the court in adoption.
barnes_jm said:
Obviously, I am not expecting to get Dad's agreement here.
Then you can expect a legal fight.
barnes_jm said:
What are the legal differences between gaining custody and adopting?
Several thousand words that I am not gonna type out here & now. You need to read here on this site, and on other Googled info, to find out basic family law info. That's TOS here, btw.
barnes_jm said:
When my mother and dad split, she handed over full custody of my brothers to my dad and let me choose, I chose to go with my brothers so I could be with them. It is all legal, my mother has no legal custody over any of us....
Do you have their divorce papers in front of you? If so, please type the custody portion word-for-word.

Even so, it matters not. She is still their legal mother and would have to either consent or fight and lose for you to get any type of custody. You NEED an attorney for this.

barnes_jm

So, obviously I need an attourney :) And I want custody not adoption, sorry for the confusion.
My mom and dad were never married, they had a common-law marriage. I do not have access to those documents (it would make my dad too suspicious to ask to see them, if he even knows where they are).
More than likely my mother would consent once she found out why I was attempting to get custody (she does not know about all the abuse)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">