• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TPR via publication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Team7Mom

I have a 13 year old son who was born in AZ. The father and I were never married, he is not on the birth certificate and we did not live together after my son was born. I have now lived in FL for almost ten years and married for over six. There has been no contact with the father for over 10 years and financial contribution has been less than and limited to $250 within the first year and a half. I briefly sought support two years ago but did not follow through with the process because he could not be located with the limited information that I have and because my husband wants to adopt him. My parents' phone numbers and address have remained the same as when we were in a relationship together and he has made no contact with them since 1999.
I have come across petitioning for TPR through the local newspaper of the person one is petioning and I am not interested in seeking out an attorney due the expense. Is this a process that can be successful (if that is the correct word to use)?

haiku

If you are REALLY interested, you will consult an attorney. Things become complicated in step parental adoptions when the bio parent cannot be found. If you do it wrong, you can invalidate the whole thing.

In some states it is possible to go through the court process without an attorney, but I would never make that call without first finding out through a family lawyer in my state if it was feasible, FIRST.

This is a time when the expense is always worth it.

LdiJ

In my opinion, a TPR and stepparent adoption should never be a DIY project. Its something that truly requires an attorney.

Gracie3787

I have a 13 year old son who was born in AZ. The father and I were never married, he is not on the birth certificate and we did not live together after my son was born. I have now lived in FL for almost ten years and married for over six. There has been no contact with the father for over 10 years and financial contribution has been less than and limited to $250 within the first year and a half. I briefly sought support two years ago but did not follow through with the process because he could not be located with the limited information that I have and because my husband wants to adopt him. My parents' phone numbers and address have remained the same as when we were in a relationship together and he has made no contact with them since 1999.
I have come across petitioning for TPR through the local newspaper of the person one is petioning and I am not interested in seeking out an attorney due the expense. Is this a process that can be successful (if that is the correct word to use)?
You realy should hire an attorney. at the least, you should get a consult with an adoption attorney.
You can get a low cost consult by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer Refferal Service at 1-800-342-8011.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">