• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traditional Surrogacy in Missouri-HELP???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sfenwick

I am going to be a traditional surrogate for my sister and brother-in-law using an at home insemination kit and my egg. I have the following questions before we being.

1) Do I have to inform my medical insurance that it is a surrogate pregnancy or can I not tell them since the child will be biologically mine?

2) Is a contract necessary since we are family and is a contract legal in Missouri if there is no compensation for the pregnancy?

3) Once the baby is born can I put my brother-in-laws name on the birth certificate?

4) How long after the baby is born before my sister can adopt the child, and what type of charges will she incur for the adoption if I legally relinquish my rights? Do we require a lawyer to complete the process or can we simply all fill out paperwork at the courthouse or before a judge?

LdiJ

I am going to be a traditional surrogate for my sister and brother-in-law using an at home insemination kit and my egg. I have the following questions before we being.

1) Do I have to inform my medical insurance that it is a surrogate pregnancy or can I not tell them since the child will be biologically mine?

2) Is a contract necessary since we are family and is a contract legal in Missouri if there is no compensation for the pregnancy?

3) Once the baby is born can I put my brother-in-laws name on the birth certificate?

4) How long after the baby is born before my sister can adopt the child, and what type of charges will she incur for the adoption if I legally relinquish my rights? Do we require a lawyer to complete the process or can we simply all fill out paperwork at the courthouse or before a judge?
This is absolutely NOT a DIY project. Attorneys are absolutely needed.

nextwife

NO, do NOT go ahead the way you are doing it.

FIRST get a contract.

Absolutely do NOT go ahead unless you are doing this as a surrogate for your sister and legally compelled to act as one.

If you have the slightest doubt that this will be your SISTER's child, STOP NOW!!!!!! Do NOT Allow yourself to be inseminated by your sister's husband with the understanding that they are doing this to have THEIR OWN child UNLESS you plan to and are compelled to turn this child over to THEM. There should be NO "if" about this being sister's child. If you will not immediately turn this child over to sister as hers,, advise them to go do a traditional adoption.

The approach you are taking is a disaster, legally.

moburkes

Well, are you suggesting that your medical carrier should be responsible for these medical bills? WOW!

A contract is smart. Otherwise, if your sister and brother ever get divorced, and, even if they don't, you can petition for custody of your child, and attempt to take it away from its family. You might also be asked to pay for child support for this child.

No, YOU cannot put his name on the BC. Only he can have that done.

Are you married?

You need an attorney. While you may be able to use a home kit to conceive, you cannot use it for all of the legal issues you will face.

nextwife

AND emotionally. I urge counseling for all 3 of you BEFORE insemination.
Oh, I agree. I can't imagine the chaos in the family dynamics if surrogate changes her mind, keeps the baby and now sisters husband gets stuck paying child support for a CHILD INTENDED TO BE HIS AND WIFE'S TOGETHER. Yikes!

nextwife

Additionally, a contract is needed because WHAT happens if she has pregnancy complications? Can't work? I was VIOLENTLY ill, bedridden and repeatedly hospitalized, and on a feeding pump the duration of my pregnancy.

Or what if the baby has neonatal needs? Is born with an expensive birth defect? This should NOT be done the way they are planning!

WHO is financially responsible in either case? The contract must address all this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">