• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer custody to another person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lunaeli

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband and I adopted my newphew when my sister was deported to Mexico and he was placed in foster home. We were told that if we did not adopted him; he was going to be put up for adoption; we did it while my niece, who is in the army, got out and would take care of him.
My question is:
What is the process that we need to follow in order to give my nice legal custody of her brother; she is still in the army, stationed in London but she is ready to take care of him. Where do we start?? what kind of paper work do we need to take care of?? and where do we go to get it.
Can somebody please help us with some advice for our case???What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

You adopted the child?

Then he's legally your child.

The military issue confuses things a little too; generally you cannot enlist as a single parent unless you transfer custody (not just guardianship, but custody)...and different branches differ as to whether they will or will not allow a single person to adopt once they're actually enlisted.

You need to speak with an attorney, and have your niece ask the same questions of her CO etc.

Also, where is kiddo's biological father?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">