• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to force adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txmommy06

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Good Mornings, I am trying to make this short and sweet. I have been married for 6 years and have a 9 year old daughter with my ex. He has not been in contact with her for 6 years. No phone calls, visits, ect. She doesn't even know who he is. In the past I wanted to have ex sign rights over and have husband adopt. Ex contacted me last month saying he was ready to sign his rights over because he is facing jail time for not paying his child support. As much as I would like to proceed with the adoption it is just not financially possible right now. My husband has a good job and been with the same company for 11 years but we do not have the means to pay for the process. He has tried to threaten me by saying he wants to take her for his Christmas this year if I wont let him. PLEASE NOTE that I do NOT have an issue with him being in her life, I tried for 3 years to get him in her life and finally gave up trying and just waited for him to want it himself. ALSO, I have no issue with him seeing her, but he has still not completed the visitation requirements he was given back in 2006 saying he had to complete phased in visitation because there was no parent/child relationship. He did ONE visit in 2006 and has never seen her again since. What do I do? Do I need to go back to court and have it enforced? I have no issues if he wants to see her and be in her life, but I don't want to damage her by just dropping her off with someone she doesn't know?? Thank you in advance.
(We have a court date for this next coming week to review child support, should I bring this up then?)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Good Mornings, I am trying to make this short and sweet. I have been married for 6 years and have a 9 year old daughter with my ex. He has not been in contact with her for 6 years. No phone calls, visits, ect. She doesn't even know who he is. In the past I wanted to have ex sign rights over and have husband adopt. Ex contacted me last month saying he was ready to sign his rights over because he is facing jail time for not paying his child support. As much as I would like to proceed with the adoption it is just not financially possible right now. My husband has a good job and been with the same company for 11 years but we do not have the means to pay for the process. He has tried to threaten me by saying he wants to take her for his Christmas this year if I wont let him. PLEASE NOTE that I do NOT have an issue with him being in her life, I tried for 3 years to get him in her life and finally gave up trying and just waited for him to want it himself. ALSO, I have no issue with him seeing her, but he has still not completed the visitation requirements he was given back in 2006 saying he had to complete phased in visitation because there was no parent/child relationship. He did ONE visit in 2006 and has never seen her again since. What do I do? Do I need to go back to court and have it enforced? I have no issues if he wants to see her and be in her life, but I don't want to damage her by just dropping her off with someone she doesn't know?? Thank you in advance.
(We have a court date for this next coming week to review child support, should I bring this up then?)
I would simply tell him that he must meet the requirements of the phased in schedule, before anything else can happen. Its likely he won't bother because he is bluffing. If he does bother, then that would likely be a good thing. He would be the one obligated to take it to court otherwise.

single317dad

In addition, I would remind him that TPR and adoption do not necessarily relieve him of his past support obligation, especially if that obligation is to the state.

Or, maybe I wouldn't tell him that.

Silverplum

No, do not bring up visitation at a child support hearing. These are two different issues, and you only discuss what is in the motion at hand.

I'm happy to read that you have a phased-in visitation schedule for the absent Dad: so very few handle that issue properly before it's too late. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">