• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two seperate adoptions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amyandmarty1021

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I need some advice on the adoption of 2 of my children. I have three, the youngest by my husband, so he is not an issue. However, as embarrassing as it may be, my older two children are by two seperate men. I was young and stupid, but I would not change anything because I do have these wonderful children. My oldest, Shelby, is 9 years old and has never seen her biological father. She knows about him, and he knows of her, but he has no interest in her. He has said he would more than willingly sign over rights so my husband may adopt her. My question for this is--Do I need to go through an attorney when both parties are willing or are there papers I can just file with the court myself?
For my middle child, his father was involved for the first 5 years. However, one day he just dropped out of the picture. He has never paid child support, but was always present. But now I have not heard or seen him in almost a year. His family does not know where he is, so I have no way to contact him. I think he would probably contest the adoption, but does his opinion matter when he is no longer in contact? Also again, do I need an attorney or is this a proccess I do myself? How do I go about it when I don't knw how to reach him?
Thanking you in advance for your cooperation and help.

nextwife

Your post states adoption of your children. You never actually say that your current husband wishes to adopt them. Is this what you are asking about: termination of parental rights by the fathers of your two oldest and a step-parent adoption by your husband? How long have you two been married?

A

Amyandmarty1021

Yes, that is what I am asking. My husband wants to adopt them. We have been together as a couple for four years, married only two. I have to tell you, I am worried that if something happens to me, my children will be split up. And they all love and depend on each other. Shelby has CP, and no one in her fathers family would know what special care she needs. My husband does. We have a very strong relationship, but I did ask him what would happen if we ever slpit up, tellign him he would be financially responsible for them if he were to adopt. He said that is fine because in his heart they are his children anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">