• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Undo adoption, many years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maneki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Adoption occurred in CT (but I live in CO now and my mother and grandmother live in ME).

I'm pretty sure this is a VERY long shot but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

When I was 9 months ago the courts gave custody of me to my paternal grandmother. The reason behind this varies, depending on who you ask. My mother was only 16 (15 when I was born) and my father was 22. They had married but then were going through a divorce when the courts gave me to my grandmother. My mother says it was against her will, my grandmother says she gave me up willingly. Not sure if any of that matters. When I was 4 my grandmother legally adopted me. Again my mother says she was forced to sign the papers, my grandmother says she did it willingly.

Anyway, years passed and I now have more reason to believe my mother instead of my grandmother. It's a long story and really not relevant, let's just say that history repeats itself and my grandmother's true coercive nature has been revealed. I hate that my birth certificate shows my grandmother as my mother, and she doesn't even consider me to be her child. It's bothered me for years and I quite honestly want nothing to do with that side of the family. I know though that since I'm an adult it really doesn't affect anything, it's just a personal preference. (Although about 6 months ago I did learn that the social security office still lists my mother as my mother, not my grandmother. Not sure if that is going to cause problems at some point.) Both I, and my mother, would like the adoption (or at least the birth certificate) reversed. Actually, thinking about it, it might have an affect in the future. Like if something happened to both my husband and I, I'd prefer my mother have legal say concerning what happens to me instead of my grandmother.

Is this at all possible? I'm pretty sure it's not, but hey, never hurts to ask. My grandmother, my mother, and I (obviously) are all still alive, if that makes any difference. Thanks for humoring me. :)

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Adoption occurred in CT (but I live in CO now and my mother and grandmother live in ME).

I'm pretty sure this is a VERY long shot but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

When I was 9 months ago the courts gave custody of me to my paternal grandmother. The reason behind this varies, depending on who you ask. My mother was only 16 (15 when I was born) and my father was 22. They had married but then were going through a divorce when the courts gave me to my grandmother. My mother says it was against her will, my grandmother says she gave me up willingly. Not sure if any of that matters. When I was 4 my grandmother legally adopted me. Again my mother says she was forced to sign the papers, my grandmother says she did it willingly.

Anyway, years passed and I now have more reason to believe my mother instead of my grandmother. It's a long story and really not relevant, let's just say that history repeats itself and my grandmother's true coercive nature has been revealed. I hate that my birth certificate shows my grandmother as my mother, and she doesn't even consider me to be her child. It's bothered me for years and I quite honestly want nothing to do with that side of the family. I know though that since I'm an adult it really doesn't affect anything, it's just a personal preference. (Although about 6 months ago I did learn that the social security office still lists my mother as my mother, not my grandmother. Not sure if that is going to cause problems at some point.) Both I, and my mother, would like the adoption (or at least the birth certificate) reversed. Actually, thinking about it, it might have an affect in the future. Like if something happened to both my husband and I, I'd prefer my mother have legal say concerning what happens to me instead of my grandmother.

Is this at all possible? I'm pretty sure it's not, but hey, never hurts to ask. My grandmother, my mother, and I (obviously) are all still alive, if that makes any difference. Thanks for humoring me. :)

The adoption will not be overturned. But if you're set on undoing it, if your state allows adult adoptions you can have your mother adopt you (!).

single317dad

OP, what state were you born in? Some states allow an adult who was adopted as a child to obtain their original unaltered birth certificate as long as they can provide the information on that birth certificate (with the intent of not divulging the names of birth parents who don't want to be found). New York is one of those states, and Connecticut is passing/has passed similar legislation. If your birth state allows this, it could be an easy fix for you.

single317dad

This group has supported the passage of the recently-passed bill which will allow adoptees after 10-1-83 to receive their original birth certificates.

http://accessconnecticut.org/

I can't vouch for this group's motives or the veracity of their information. Please take everything you read (anywhere) with a grain of salt. But from a cursory glance, it appears the information on their website will lead you in the right direction.

Here is the actual text of the bill:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2014/act/pa/pdf/2014PA-00133-R00HB-05144-PA.pdf

I would recommend you start by contacting the health department in the county you were born in. If they cannot assist you, perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

maneki

Well drat, that already doesn't look like it'll work. I was adopted in 1978. Thank you so much for trying though. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">