• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very Confusing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jake12386

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

Ok, this is kinda tricky.

3 years ago my ex wife cheated on me while I was in Afghanistan, We have a 4 and a half year old now whom I pay child support for. Meanwhile, she had a child with the man she cheated on me with. He left town, and signed over his rights, now I dislike my ex for what she did completely however, now that her son is 6 months old he looks at me like a father figure. And when he gets older he will see me coming to pick up my oldest. I would like to adopt him because as much as my feelings of karma are there it is not fair to the child.

My question is. Can I adopt my ex wife's child and would I have to pay child support? Even though biologically the kid isn't mine?

Just Blue

3 years ago my ex wife cheated on me while I was in Afghanistan, We have a 4 and a half year old now whom I pay child support for. Meanwhile, she had a child with the man she cheated on me with. He left town, and signed over his rights, now I dislike my ex for what she did completely however, now that her son is 6 months old he looks at me like a father figure. And when he gets older he will see me coming to pick up my oldest. I would like to adopt him because as much as my feelings of karma are there it is not fair to the child.

My question is. Can I adopt my ex wife's child and would I have to pay child support? Even though biologically the kid isn't mine?
Who is the legal father? Did you disestablish paternity during the divorce?

CourtClerk

If you adopt the child, then the child becomes legally yours, with all that comes with it. Including, child support. However, the chances of a court allowing friends to adopt a child is slim anyway. You two couldn't keep it together in order to keep the child you have together in an intact home, no court is going to subject a child to that intentionally.

Further, your question regarding child support already sets off alarms.

nextwife

Can I adopt my ex wife's child and would I have to pay child support? Even though biologically the kid isn't mine?
How many adopted children ARE biologically the child of the adoptive parent? If the adoptive parent WERE the bioparent they normally wouldn't NEED to adopt.

Being an adoptive parent means assuming every and all responsibilities the bioparent would have had.

momofrose

3 years ago my ex wife cheated on me while I was in Afghanistan, We have a 4 and a half year old now whom I pay child support for. Meanwhile, she had a child with the man she cheated on me with. He left town, and signed over his rights, now I dislike my ex for what she did completely however, now that her son is 6 months old he looks at me like a father figure.

very confusing - how is it your wife cheated on you 3 years ago but her child is only 6 months old?

And when he gets older he will see me coming to pick up my oldest. I would like to adopt him because as much as my feelings of karma are there it is not fair to the child.

Were you married to this woman when she had the child? If so you are the legal father. How did the bio father sign over his rights? He would have had to have paternity established and then show the court that there was an adoption in place....something is just not right about this story.

Please come back and give more facts.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">