• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobfused

What is the name of your state?OH

7 yrs ago my husbands son was adopted my his step father.
Since the mother and stepfather have lost custody. We were contacted by the family member that has custody and wants my husband to see child. The child want this also. Do we have any legal rights it the family member stops visitation after my husband starts seeing him again? we would really like to do this but it was a very hard decision for us to make in giving up rights we had moved due to husbands employment 22 hrs. away.

nextwife

cobfused said:
What is the name of your state?OH

7 yrs ago my husbands son was adopted my his step father.
Since the mother and stepfather have lost custody. We were contacted by the family member that has custody and wants my husband to see child. The child want this also. Do we have any legal rights it the family member stops visitation after my husband starts seeing him again? we would really like to do this but it was a very hard decision for us to make in giving up rights we had moved due to husbands employment 22 hrs. away.
No, the biofather has absolutely NO legal rights. He is now a legal stranger, so any visitation is purely at the discretion of the child's guardian.

brisgirl825

nextwife said:
No, the biofather has absolutely NO legal rights. He is now a legal stranger, so any visitation is purely at the discretion of the child's guardian.
Yeah and if he was able to be daddy again, he'd also have to pay support. We don't want that now do we? :rolleyes:

LdiJ

nextwife said:
Its not even guaranteed that the child's guardian has the right to make that decision....depending on why the third party has guardianship/custody/physical placement.

cobfused

thank you very much for your comments and help. We have already given the grandmother almost 3000 dollars in the last 2 yrs to help her with clothing and have bought christmas gifts and birthday gifts every since the adoption was signed. I have no problem nor does my husband with paying child support if that is what it comes to. The court appointed counselor for his son said this is what needs to be done, according to his grandmother. Money is not what I asked about though. We don't want to have our hearts tore out again. He doesn't remember us he just wants to meet us because his grandma has told him how much we did and have continued to do in the past 10 yrs, his words from a phone conversation my husband had with him right before I posted this yesterday. Thank you for reading this and commenting it really has helped with our question of if the grandmother decided we can't see him. Best wishes to everyone its very nice to have people other than our family to discuss this with.

brisgirl825

I am not sure how dad had his heart tore out for reasons other than his own making. He either was in consent of the adoption or his rights were involuntarily terminated due to some sort of unfitness.
The kid is no longer his child. He will never again have any rights. The child is the only one who has had his heart broken.

cobfused

brisgirl825 said:
I am not sure how dad had his heart tore out for reasons other than his own making. He either was in consent of the adoption or his rights were involuntarily terminated due to some sort of unfitness.
The kid is no longer his child. He will never again have any rights. The child is the only one who has had his heart broken.

Thank you ones again but you do not no the circumstances. He did sign the papers your right. He thought it would be best at the time due to us moving and she would do jail time for contempt and did on three occasions instead of allowing us to get him he was 2 yrs old and we had seen him 4 times. We took her to court for the 3rd time a month before we moved. We were once again given every weekend visitations. We would go and she would not be there. Of the 4 times we saw him she was in jail on contempt and we saw him at her mother. They were supposed to be supervised for 4 weeks straight because of him being little and then go to overnight after and I quite honestly think it scared her to think of him not being with her. She was a great mother, until 2 yrs ago. Her husband and her started doing coke according to the grandma and beating the children they had 5 total him being the oldest. They were married a month before she had the boy and were both wonderful with him. Her husband signed the birth certificate and we took it to court to start visitation and child support. When you fight constantly with people for 3 yrs and can't get any help besided the courts putting her in jail for contempt ( which by the way was not what we wanted that just took his mom away from him) and still not getting to see him we were told by our attorney that with his age we couldn't even ask her to send him to us. She wouldnt have anyways. We even volenteered to send a plane ticket for her and him to come. We lived in Sarasota Fl and would have rented her a condo for the week and she wouldnt do it. I'm sorry but we did everything to not give up rights and we thought it would be better for him. We were horribly wrong and know that, but you don't know the half of it so please don't downgrade my husband for his decisions.

in2deep101

I know how you feel.....

There are going to be people that make rude comments on here and thats only because they havent been in this situation, and I have. My husband signed away his rights about 9 years ago and since then the biological mother told them they were adopted and that my husband was the father. (the children knew us, only as friends because our children went to school together)So when they found out who he was they wanted to meet him as thier dad, so knowing he didnt have any rights he went ahead and done this for thier sake and plus he really regreted what he did and wanted them to know that he loved them. But after about a year of off and on visitaions and lots of money put out the mother decides she doesnt want them to see us any more and is now keeping them from seeing any of our family.(the only reason she done this is bacause she said she was afraid they would want to come live with us and not want to go home anymore) The children have begged and told friends that they miss us and want to come back but the thing is He is not their father (by law) so there is nothing we can do. It is so hard knowing that we were allowed to take them in as our family and love them as our children and they were just snatched back. I am sorry that you have to go through this and just pray that whoever has custody wont' do this to you. I just wish that there was something that could be done in this situation (law wise).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">