• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

voluntary relinquishment of parental rights and stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

everlove

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My husband and I will be representing ourselves pro se in a voluntary termination of parental rights and stepparent adoption. I received information from Collin County about how to file all the paperwork. But I am confused as to what I will say when I go before the judge. The paperwork I received says to read all of the points of the original petition and then give the judge the decree terminating parental rights and granting adoption. Does this mean I will read everything from the original petition such as selction of discover, parties and service of citation, Jurisdiction etc....through all 18 points of the original petition?

Any help would be appreciated.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My husband and I will be representing ourselves pro se in a voluntary termination of parental rights and stepparent adoption. I received information from Collin County about how to file all the paperwork. But I am confused as to what I will say when I go before the judge. The paperwork I received says to read all of the points of the original petition and then give the judge the decree terminating parental rights and granting adoption. Does this mean I will read everything from the original petition such as selction of discover, parties and service of citation, Jurisdiction etc....through all 18 points of the original petition?

Any help would be appreciated.
Please try and get legal representation for this - TPR and step-parent adoption isn't something you want to do yourself unless you're absolutely sure you're familiar with what is needed and the processes involved.

It doesn't look like you are - and the last thing you need is to miss something tiny that can have the entire thing reversed somewhere down the line.

basylica

holy cow! how on earth did you get collin county to do anything?
I called to ask questions about things, ask about filing a TRO, etc and every single time all I got was "well, you should get a lawyer" and "uh huh....I can't help you, have you tried legal aid? you should really have a lawyer"

I was about ready to go down there and burn the place down. Irritating!
seriously, nobody was even remotely helpful! I want to know!

Proserpina

holy cow! how on earth did you get collin county to do anything?
I called to ask questions about things, ask about filing a TRO, etc and every single time all I got was "well, you should get a lawyer" and "uh huh....I can't help you, have you tried legal aid? you should really have a lawyer"

I was about ready to go down there and burn the place down. Irritating!
seriously, nobody was even remotely helpful! I want to know!
A very wise person once explained things to me thusly:

It's not what you know.

It's not who you know.

It's what you know about who you know that will open those doors.

Other than that, I have no clue. But sometimes simply asking one question in this forum appears to confer super-powers to certain posters who are then able to do what they want to do quite easily. And often for free. And often the same day (you'd be astonished at how many judges will decide custody during a holiday weekend despite the fact the courts aren't actually open).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">