• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary termination of parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JonAndAshly

What is the name of your state? WA

It has been a year since my sons father has seen him and even in our custody paperwork it states he has willfully abandoned our son. Well he just let me know that he wants to terminate his rights. I have only been married to my current husband for a month. My current husband loves my son as if he were his own and wants badly to adopt him. Can my ex terminate his rights whenever he wants? Do I have to be married for a year first? If he does terminate his parental rights in the next few months can my current husband adopt my son? One more question. Is it possible to do a adoption yourself if everyone is consenting? Do I have to have a paralegal or attorney?What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

The general rule is that the termination of parental rights must be done in connection with an adoption.

You really need a family law attorney for this.

bubble

Texas......

I went thorough this in TX and I had been married less than a year.
As soon as we got married my ex terminated and the adoption was put in motion at the same time.
The court however would not let my ex terminate his rights until I was married.
They say they will not "*******ize" a child.
Whoops, I see I cant write that word- sorry.
The state will not make a child fatherless- there must be someone to adopt before rights can be terminated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">