• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to Re Adopt kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spoiled77

What is the name of your state? Maryland..... kids live elsewhere though

My question is this..... husband gave up his kids a few years ago for adoption to their stepdad.... long story. We have been in contact with his oldest son who is 19. We have resently found out that his mother and adopted father are on the outs and getting seperated more than likely. My husband wants to readopt his kids. I think his oldest one would like to be but we havent spoken to the others for a long time. We understand the home life isnt good at all and hasnt ever really been. If there was a way to prove unstable home life could my husband re adopt them if they wanted to be??? ANd since his oldest is 19 almost 20 can he just do a name change back to his original last name without the adopted step fathers consent??? or would we have to go ahead and re adopt him?? Not that we would mind doing that because my husband wants that so bad. ANd I think he does too (his son). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THanks.

Spoiled77

LdiJ

Spoiled77 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland..... kids live elsewhere though

My question is this..... husband gave up his kids a few years ago for adoption to their stepdad.... long story. We have been in contact with his oldest son who is 19. We have resently found out that his mother and adopted father are on the outs and getting seperated more than likely. My husband wants to readopt his kids. I think his oldest one would like to be but we havent spoken to the others for a long time. We understand the home life isnt good at all and hasnt ever really been. If there was a way to prove unstable home life could my husband re adopt them if they wanted to be??? ANd since his oldest is 19 almost 20 can he just do a name change back to his original last name without the adopted step fathers consent??? or would we have to go ahead and re adopt him?? Not that we would mind doing that because my husband wants that so bad. ANd I think he does too (his son). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THanks.

Spoiled77
Ok...he cannot re-adopt any of the minor children. He is a legal stranger to them at this point and has no rights of any kind.

Certainly the adult child could change his last name back to his dads. An adult adoption could even be done. However, unfortunately that would be a single parent adoption, and would remove his mother as his legal mother.....so its not a simple as it looks.

Your husband should consult an adoption attorney to clarify everything before he speaks to the adult child about the idea.........and he legally can't say a word to the minor children.

Spoiled77

THanks

Thank you for your input. My husband and I have talked about it alot. And we think his oldest son wants to go back to his real name. THe kids were older when they were adopted and they know my husband VERY well. So hes not a stranger to them at all. In fact the next child in line will be 18 next year and that child was 11 when adopted. So these kids know their Real dad and know who he is. THe hate their "adopted father". But I do appreciate everything and we will look more into it.

Spoiled77

brisgirl825

Spoiled77 said:
Thank you for your input. My husband and I have talked about it alot. And we think his oldest son wants to go back to his real name. THe kids were older when they were adopted and they know my husband VERY well. So hes not a stranger to them at all. In fact the next child in line will be 18 next year and that child was 11 when adopted. So these kids know their Real dad and know who he is. THe hate their "adopted father". But I do appreciate everything and we will look more into it.

Spoiled77
Not legal advice but damn it, I couldn't control myself on this one.

It doesn't matter if the kids know him, he is a LEGAL STRANGER. He is not their "real dad" either, he gave them up to someome else. Mom should put a restraining order in your husband if he is contacting them at all.
Frankly, I find it rather disgusting that a parent would give their child to get out of the responsibility and then come back later when the kids are adults.
That adopted dad was the one that stepped up to the plate when your loving husband wanted to get out of his responsibilities. He will always out class your husband.
Hopefully, the law will prevent him from re-adopting since he and mom are no longer married.

Spoiled77

THank you for your input mam. I just had to say this you have no idea the situation about the adoption. And I have seen on a thread that you wrote about letting your husband adopt your child. Dont throw stones at a glass house. And frankly My oldest stepson my husbands SON...... doesnt even talk to his "adopted wonderful drunk father". HE knows who his REAL DAD is. ANd his mother is a b----. And I think my stepson sees it all now for what it really was. ANd if he wants my husband to readopt him then he will. And it wasnt about getting out of responsiblities. For a couple years his ex asked him to give them up and he refused so you dont know anything about our situation. So good luck to you and your husband with adopting your child from your ex.

Spoiled77
:D

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The main point, however, is that your husband is no longer - in the eyes of the legal system - their father. The oldest son is a different situation as he IS now an adult and can pretty well do as he pleases. With regard to the younger children, your husband can - and likely will - be restricted from any contact with them. With them, he will have to wait as each reaches the age of maturity.

Spoiled77

THank you, I pretty much thought that. I do understand it also. And we will wait for them. I guess my big question was having my oldest stepson change his name back to his original name. Since he was over 18 now. We were wondering if we had to do a full re adoption, with the adopted fathers and his mothers consent, or if he didnt need their consent or if he could just pay to have his name changed. We would do anything he wanted. And we will just wait for the others. Thank you again.

Spoiled77

BelizeBreeze

Contrary to popular opinion, yes your husband CAN adopt the children. But only with a termination of parental rights hearing on BOTH parents and ONLY if no one else steps up to adopt.

Although your husband is a legal stranger to the children, the universal "NO" in this case is false. anyone can adopt a child given the right circumstances. However, in your case, he would have to stand in line as a non-family member.

brisgirl825

Spoiled77 said:
THank you for your input mam. I just had to say this you have no idea the situation about the adoption. And I have seen on a thread that you wrote about letting your husband adopt your child. Dont throw stones at a glass house. And frankly My oldest stepson my husbands SON...... doesnt even talk to his "adopted wonderful drunk father". HE knows who his REAL DAD is. ANd his mother is a b----. And I think my stepson sees it all now for what it really was. ANd if he wants my husband to readopt him then he will. And it wasnt about getting out of responsiblities. For a couple years his ex asked him to give them up and he refused so you dont know anything about our situation. So good luck to you and your husband with adopting your child from your ex.

Spoiled77
:D
And good for him for letting a drunk adopt them. So he left the kids with a bitch for a mother and a drunk for a dad. One need not wonder why a parent would disreguard that situation and give up the kids anyway.

He deserves the father of the year award. :rolleyes:

tigger22472

brisgirl825 said:
And good for him for letting a drunk adopt them. So he left the kids with a bitch for a mother and a drunk for a dad. One need not wonder why a parent would disreguard that situation and give up the kids anyway.

He deserves the father of the year award. :rolleyes:
I am with you on this one as we have discussed recently.

OP either your husband WILLING gave up his rights or they were taken because either he'd had no contact or was found unfit. Either way he gave up on the kids when they were younger and now that no obligations are due to the oldest and probably pretty soon to the others he's wanting to get back those 'rights.' On the legal side that's been answered. I was commenting on the moral side of it.

LdiJ

Spoiled77 said:
THank you, I pretty much thought that. I do understand it also. And we will wait for them. I guess my big question was having my oldest stepson change his name back to his original name. Since he was over 18 now. We were wondering if we had to do a full re adoption, with the adopted fathers and his mothers consent, or if he didnt need their consent or if he could just pay to have his name changed. We would do anything he wanted. And we will just wait for the others. Thank you again.

Spoiled77
He is a legal adult...he can change his name to "Blue Moon" if he wants to....or be like Prince and legally change it to a symbol.. That has nothing to do with adoption.

Spoiled77

He absolutly deserves father of the year award thank you when can you send it hon.......... ;) Will you sign it for us????? With your approval it makes all the difference and that much more special. :p :eek: . Asside all of that thanks to everyone who helped me out on this one. Take care all. We will go from here now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">