• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is a backdoor adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lolabunny

i live in pa. i have heard people talking about backdoor adoptions and i was wondering what is involved in a backdoor adoption:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

A backdoor adoption is where the step parent of a child tries to avoid the legal adoption methodology by "pretending" the child is adopted.

This includes, but is not limited to, changing the child's last name to reflect the new "parents", having the child call the new parent "Daddy" or "Mommy" or other ways and types of shenanigans designed to remove the birth parents from the child's life.

These are not ways looked upon with favor in a court of law. Further, using them will almost certainly prejudice the court AGAINST the "adoptive" parents.

lolabunny

well i was wondering because i know a foster family that has this 5 month old since birth and the baby is going to be tested for dawrfism and the courts took away the mothers rights because she dose drugs i was told that if he dose that no one would want to adopt him and that he would be in foster homes and group homes till he turned 18

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
well i was wondering because i know a foster family that has this 5 month old since birth and the baby is going to be tested for dawrfism and the courts took away the mothers rights because she dose drugs i was told that if he dose that no one would want to adopt him and that he would be in foster homes and group homes till he turned 18
A backdoor adoption is illegal. And the baby can be adopted if parents' rights are terminated. Someone would likely adopt him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">