• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

digger12505

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I met my husband 10 yrs ago he had just recently got full custody of his daughter ( 13 mnths old). I have been the only mother she has known she is now 11 yrs old and recently her father was in a serious injury at work and I realized that nor only did have a chance of losing him I would also have lost her. I have no legal custody of her.
Her 'real' mother has had visitation rights and only used them once. She has never paid child support and been in trouble with the law numerous times.
She has 3 other children that are in same situation , with this going on could I adopt?
We have no idea where she is right now, last time we spoke to her in February 2000 we asked her to sign rights away and she wanted money.

Please Help Me

brisgirl825

Well, you can't give her money, as that would be buying a child therefore illegal. It is possible to sweeten the deal by forgiving arrears in exchange for her consent to adoption. However, as long as she has been absent, it is likely that you and dad could do this w/o her permission. Get a consult with a local atty. Many offer free consults.

GL.

Nocgirl

He should go after her for CS. Maybe when she realizes she cannot be a deadbeat mom she will terminate rights.

Why hasnt he gone after her for support?

digger12505

TY so much for the help.
We have tryed twice to get child support, the first time she did 30 days in jail for it and then the second nothing has been done except paperwork..
We dont know what to do

brisgirl825

digger12505 said:
TY so much for the help.
We have tryed twice to get child support, the first time she did 30 days in jail for it and then the second nothing has been done except paperwork..
We dont know what to do

What you guys need to do is get in contact with an atty asap. They will get you started on the adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">