• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what constitutes an "unfit" parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carofl93

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'll try to make this long story short. I am a custodial stepmother. Hubby and I (and stepdaughter) have been discussing the possiblity of my adopting my 7 year old stepdaughter. Her mother has abandoned her...ie no contact since April, no child support paid, and has moved at least once that we know of, but we have no address. How would we go about starting the adoption process? And would her mother's abandonment constitute her being an "unfit parent"? We have no clue about where her bio mom is, and neither does the state of FL. Things are fine as they are right now, but SD is wanting to call me Mom and the divorce decree states that we can't allow that...it's hard to tell her that she can't do that when I have been the "mother figure" for 2 years now.

HomeGuru

carofl93 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I'll try to make this long story short. I am a custodial stepmother. Hubby and I (and stepdaughter) have been discussing the possiblity of my adopting my 7 year old stepdaughter. Her mother has abandoned her...ie no contact since April, no child support paid, and has moved at least once that we know of, but we have no address. How would we go about starting the adoption process? And would her mother's abandonment constitute her being an "unfit parent"? We have no clue about where her bio mom is, and neither does the state of FL. Things are fine as they are right now, but SD is wanting to call me Mom and the divorce decree states that we can't allow that...it's hard to tell her that she can't do that when I have been the "mother figure" for 2 years now.
**A: the divorce decree specifically states that she can't call you Mom? That's interesting. I have never seen such a thing. Were you around at the time of the divorce?

carofl93

The divorce decree states that no one other than the biological father or mother can be called "Mother" or "Father" and to me that means "Mom or Dad"... maybe I read too much into that. I was around during the finalization of the divorce. I'll dig around in our legal papers here at the house and see if I can find that set of docs...it is a strange one, isn't it.

HomeGuru

carofl93 said:
The divorce decree states that no one other than the biological father or mother can be called "Mother" or "Father" and to me that means "Mom or Dad"... maybe I read too much into that. I was around during the finalization of the divorce. I'll dig around in our legal papers here at the house and see if I can find that set of docs...it is a strange one, isn't it.
**A: please post word for word exactly what the decree states on this issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">