• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to say to the child during an adoption.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyjeff

This has come up recently... what do you say to a child that didn't know he was adopted but now has to appear in court.

I recommend, first, against lying to a child. Especially over something like this that you KNOW is going to come out later.

Heck, half of the kids in my daughters school room are step this or that... including her half sister.

I have been the stepfather of a wonderful girl for ten years.

Dad has never been in the picture. Ever. Not once.

And my stepdaughter KNOWS I am not her father. To tell her anything else is wrong... You tell kids to trust you and to believe in your because you will never lie to them....

This is a great place to prove that.

Yes, your child will have to be present at the adoption proceedings. Yes, I recommend having a talk with your child prior to that time.

Something along the lines of "We are going to make our family official. This is a very special day. In fact, our family is SO special that we are going to have a judge make sure that everyone else in the whole world knows that we are a family and always will be. Son/daughter, YOU get to be a part of this. You will be asked if you want me and <insert step dad's name here and it better not be "daddy"> to be a family with you. Don't worry.... if you say no, we all still go home in the same car to the same house and we love you the same. By saying yes, though, the whole world will be able to see how much we all love each other.

Before mommy met <insert step dad's name here and it better not be "daddy">, she created you with the help of another man who is in the courtroom. I thank God everyday for this man because he gave me you. However, not all men that are good at helping to create children (and I know he is good at it because look how wonderful YOU are) are great at doing the million and one things that Daddies do everyday for the children they love. To make sure that the right people get the right jobs, we go to court.

From now on, on this day, we will all celebrate "Family Day". It will be kind of like a birthday... with a cake and special dinner... but it will celebrate the day that we told the world we are a family and will be forever.

Would you like that?"

Court is already imposing and scary enough for a child. Leave your hatred of the man you chose to make a baby with at the door.

After all, he participated in the miracle of your son. He should be respected at least a little for that.

nextwife

This has come up recently... what do you say to a child that didn't know he was adopted but now has to appear in court.

I recommend, first, against lying to a child. Especially over something like this that you KNOW is going to come out later.

Heck, half of the kids in my daughters school room are step this or that... including her half sister.

I have been the stepfather of a wonderful girl for ten years.

Dad has never been in the picture. Ever. Not once.

And my stepdaughter KNOWS I am not her father. To tell her anything else is wrong... You tell kids to trust you and to believe in your because you will never lie to them....

This is a great place to prove that.

Yes, your child will have to be present at the adoption proceedings. Yes, I recommend having a talk with your child prior to that time.

Something along the lines of "We are going to make our family official. This is a very special day. In fact, our family is SO special that we are going to have a judge make sure that everyone else in the whole world knows that we are a family and always will be. Son/daughter, YOU get to be a part of this. You will be asked if you want me and <insert step dad's name here and it better not be "daddy"> to be a family with you. Don't worry.... if you say no, we all still go home in the same car to the same house and we love you the same. By saying yes, though, the whole world will be able to see how much we all love each other.

Before mommy met <insert step dad's name here and it better not be "daddy">, she created you with the help of another man who is in the courtroom. I thank God everyday for this man because he gave me you. However, not all men that are good at helping to create children (and I know he is good at it because look how wonderful YOU are) are great at doing the million and one things that Daddies do everyday for the children they love. To make sure that the right people get the right jobs, we go to court.

From now on, on this day, we will all celebrate "Family Day". It will be kind of like a birthday... with a cake and special dinner... but it will celebrate the day that we told the world we are a family and will be forever.

Would you like that?"

Court is already imposing and scary enough for a child. Leave your hatred of the man you chose to make a baby with at the door.

After all, he participated in the miracle of your son. He should be respected at least a little for that.
Of course, one should never lie to their child to begin with. Then they never have to shock or surprise them later.

I also do want to point out that many older children who are adopted are NOT step adoptions, some of us adopt from orphanages or foster care, so the your recommended language is not applicable. Perhaps this thread should be specifically referenced as a step adoption thread, rather than a "what to say to an adopted kid" thread.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I'm thinking of creating a group for posts that should be stickies, but aren't, or are otherwise memorable and should not slowly fade away into the archives. May I use this one if I do?

CourtClerk

The lying idiot wants to know what I'm doing on here answering questions...

she also didn't realize that today I Lincoln's Birthday and a court holiday.

She ought to try again.

cyjeff

Of course, one should never lie to their child to begin with. Then they never have to shock or surprise them later.

I also do want to point out that many older children who are adopted are NOT step adoptions, some of us adopt from orphanages or foster care, so the your recommended language is not applicable. Perhaps this thread should be specifically referenced as a step adoption thread, rather than a "what to say to an adopted kid" thread.
You are correct... but you can still celebrate the day the adoption and family became official.

My point was, of course, to make this a day of celebration and renewal rather than a "boy, I hate that such and such and I hope he/she chokes on this court order!!"

I demand honestly from the children I raise. The least I can do is return the favor.

cyjeff

I'm thinking of creating a group for posts that should be stickies, but aren't, or are otherwise memorable and should not slowly fade away into the archives. May I use this one if I do?
If you truly believe it worthy, of course you may.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">