• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's the daddy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXMimi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My 17 year old son is one of 3 possible fathers of a 14 year old pregnant girl. Her parents have not contacted the other 2 possibles or their parents(one being 17 the other 16). They want the girl to give the baby up for adoption. We have spoke to them and informed them that if our son is the daddy he is not, nor are we for that matter, willing to give up this child. The girls parents have said they already have been looking a prospective adoptive parents. Obviously, the paternaty wont be established until the baby is born. What do we do to insure they do not allow someone to adopt the baby if it is our son's? Who will take the baby home until paternity is established?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

Is Sonny capable of providing this child the financial and emotional support the baby needs? Paying for their support and providing health care and child care costs? Of staying near wherever Mom is living, maybe giving up going away for college or employment (as Mom would likely retain custody) and being there to co-parent his child for the next 18 years??

Last edited:

TXMimi

My husband and I have given our son the option to allow us to adopt the child and raise it or To help him do it but NOT do it for him. It would be a major change in his life. Being a teen parent myself, I know how tough it can be at times.
As far as the love and finances, he is only 17 and still in high school. He could not financially do it alone at first, so he would need our help. Love, No doubt!

Isis1

My husband and I have given our son the option to allow us to adopt the child and raise it or To help him do it but NOT do it for him. It would be a major change in his life. Being a teen parent myself, I know how tough it can be at times.
As far as the love and finances, he is only 17 and still in high school. He could not financially do it alone at first, so he would need our help. Love, No doubt!
son will need an attorney. mom may not consent to YOU adopting the child. just like mom can't adopt out with out establishing/disestablishing whoever the father is to adopt to who she wants, your son can't do the same.

TXMimi

So, what I'm getting is that the mom(14yr old) would have to establish paternity prior to being able to allow someone to adopt? I don't know how long DNA testing takes but considering newborns generally only stay 24-48hrs in the hospital, who takes the baby home while we are waiting?

Her parents have said they are not giving her a choice to keep the child. I have spoke with an adoption attorney whom has informed us once the child is born there will be 2 parents. If the mom wants to give up her rights she can(of course with her parents signing the legal paper work b/c of her age) That would leave the daddy as only responsible party. If it is our son's he,(and we) have no problem with her doing so. However, I am concerned about the babies well being. Without a doubt I believe everything needs to be done legally, not without legal paperwork completed. I would hate for that child to get stuck in some sort of warp zone being pulled from one place to another to another. The baby has to have stablility!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you! I will do the research!
You also might want to find out when this girl's birthday is. Because if your son turns 18 before she turns 15, your son is going to prison for a long time. The age of consent in Texas is 17. This child was raped. And apparently your son is one of the perpetrators.
It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor...was not more than three years older than the victim and of the opposite sex...(and) did not use duress, force, or a threat against the victim at the time of the offence" and is not a registered sex offender {Section 21.11(b)
So if she doesn't turn 15 until after your baby turns 18, your son is a sex offender and under Adam Walsh Act will get to register for at least the next fifteen years as such -- which will impact college, jobs, earning potential and various other things. Your son needs a lawyer. IMMEDIATELY. Before anything is done.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A child is NOT an it. Oh and by the way, you won't be able to adopt the child without mom's permission. As well as your son's if he is daddy> But consider the fact that legally he has raped this child. No love in rape.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So, what I'm getting is that the mom(14yr old) would have to establish paternity prior to being able to allow someone to adopt? I don't know how long DNA testing takes but considering newborns generally only stay 24-48hrs in the hospital, who takes the baby home while we are waiting?

Her parents have said they are not giving her a choice to keep the child. I have spoke with an adoption attorney whom has informed us once the child is born there will be 2 parents. If the mom wants to give up her rights she can(of course with her parents signing the legal paper work b/c of her age) That would leave the daddy as only responsible party. If it is our son's he,(and we) have no problem with her doing so. However, I am concerned about the babies well being. Without a doubt I believe everything needs to be done legally, not without legal paperwork completed. I would hate for that child to get stuck in some sort of warp zone being pulled from one place to another to another. The baby has to have stablility!

Mom's rights will not be terminated if dad fights for custody of his child. But the baby goes home with mom. As dad is not dad until paternity is established.

nextwife

I think you are dreaming if you think mom's mom will allow you to adopt the child. The most likely options are these:

A. Sonny blocks the adoption, mom keeps child. Dad has charges leveled against him for statutory rape. Son then pays child support, health care and day care costs for at least the next 18 years. And probably has minimal chance to raise child due to rape charges and likely order of protection keeping dad away.

B. Dad cooperates with mom's family decision that a child of rape hnot be raised by her or the father, baby gets adopted, has mature adults as parents and maybe son doesn't get charged w/ raping a 14 year old child.

cyjeff

I would actually be more worried about how your child is going to survive prison.

Everyone is schtuping a 14 year old child, and all you want to do is fight over a baby that isn't yours.

TXMimi

The expected mother is going to be 15 this month.The baby isn't due til the end of April. My son just turned 17 at the end of July. With that being said prison is not in the picture. The girls parents are not going to allow her to keep the baby so her taking the baby home isnt an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">