• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will our son/grandson loose his ss when we adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artistbre

Hello Im in Florida and we've wanted to adopt our son/grandson since we took custody of him at 8 months old he is almost 7 years old now and haven't been able to afford it. Were not sure if we would loose Chris's (our sons') ss income which he gets because he has autistic tendencies better known as Pervasive Developmental Disorder along with other things if we adopt him. Our daughter will sign off on her parental rights and give him to us so thats no problem and I don't think the bio dad is a problem in the adoption either hes been in prision since she was pg with the child so hes never had contact with the bio dad. So our only concern is the ss he gets because we may need the income for help once my husband retires soon.
Any help in this area you could give us we would appreciate.
Thank you
Bre

Gracie3787

Hello Im in Florida and we've wanted to adopt our son/grandson since we took custody of him at 8 months old he is almost 7 years old now and haven't been able to afford it. Were not sure if we would loose Chris's (our sons') ss income which he gets because he has autistic tendencies better known as Pervasive Developmental Disorder along with other things if we adopt him. Our daughter will sign off on her parental rights and give him to us so thats no problem and I don't think the bio dad is a problem in the adoption either hes been in prision since she was pg with the child so hes never had contact with the bio dad. So our only concern is the ss he gets because we may need the income for help once my husband retires soon.
Any help in this area you could give us we would appreciate.
Thank you
Bre
If your grandson is disabled the SSI will most likely continue. Also, when you adopt a relative in Florida you'll recieve a small check from the state each month, your new son will have medicaid, and will have the chance to go to college because the state pays for adopted children's college.

If both parents are agreeable to the adoption you can try working with Legal Aid on the portions that you aren't sure of. You can find forms and other info at www.flcourts.org

Call your local Dept of Children and Families for more information. And also call the SSA, or go down and speak to your caseworker.

artistbre

Couple more Questions please

Right now we have Long term relative care. The mom will tpr but dad probably won't, if he fights it could that be a long drawn out thing since he's never had contact with the child, or hopefuly it will be a bit easier since he's in federal prision. We will be moving to M.O. where the child was born and where the bio dad is from next year to live after my husband retires. We also have relatives there. We are thinking of starting this very quickly and first would like to know about how long this would take and if we should start it here or wait until we get to M.O.?
Thank you for your help and congradulations on the upcomming grandbaby. We will take your advice and contact SSA and DCF and see what we find out there.
Bre

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">